Chiropractic Care Expert Forum
Foggy brain, headache, left side weakness after adjustment

Questions in the Chiropractic Care Forum are being answered by Dr. Adam Tanase, a board-certified Doctor of Chiropractic. Topics covered include Muscle Pain, Nerve Pain, Movement Disorders, Subluxation, Upper Cervical Care, Pain Management, Health Care Alternatives, and Wellness Care.

I had a neck manipulation six weeks ago.  Within an hour, I began to feel a sort of dizzy, spacey feeling in my head that comes and goes, and a sort of weightless feeling in my left leg.  I also had sharp pains in my neck and head when I tried to sleep the first couple of nights.  Since then, the spacey feeling has lessened somewhat, but I still have days where it feels just like the first day.  Some days I have a nauseous-y headache.  For the past couple of weeks I now have dull throbbing aches in my neck, mainly on the left but sometimes on the right, toward the base of my head.  When I walk and I get that spacey feeling it feels like my whole left side is sleepy; my left leg and left arm feel almost light, but I have never felt that I was going to pass out or that my leg would give out or anything.  Starting a couple of weeks ago until a couple days ago, my left leg seizes up with a feeling of numbness whenever I laid down and started to drift off.  It would go through my whole leg and up to the left side of my waist where it feels like someone pinching me, though it always fades in less than a minute after I get up and try to walk it off, though it's sometimes hard to walk and once it felt like my foot was just tethered to the floor.  I have aches in my neck that only come when I am lying down and trying to sleep.  The spacey feeling is not better or worse by changing the direction of my head or anything like that.  I do not feel any pain/spacey feeling when I turn my head as far as I can, nor do I feel any pain if I apply pressure to any part of my neck.  My chiropractor did a neuro exam when the symptoms first started and is fairly certain I am not having a stroke; I have no other symptoms for it, no nystagmus, no blurry vision, no tinnitus.  I went to a neuro last week and I have a brain and neck MRI later this week.  The neuro brought up vertebral artery compression, but even he thinks this is unlikely.  So... pinched nerve? Herniated disc?  Am I dying? :(
1 Comment
Oh, forgot to add: I recently discovered that if I close off my ears -- not just put my hands over my ears, but actually press on the little center lobe thingy so it's actually closed -- the spacey feeling goes away.  For that reason I am also wondering if there was some damage to my vestibular nerve or something.  I had a BAER test at the neuro yesterday, too -- no idea how the result came out, though.