Chiropractic Care Expert Forum
Hand weakness

Questions in the Chiropractic Care Forum are being answered by Dr. Adam Tanase, a board-certified Doctor of Chiropractic. Topics covered include Muscle Pain, Nerve Pain, Movement Disorders, Subluxation, Upper Cervical Care, Pain Management, Health Care Alternatives, and Wellness Care.

Hand weakness

7 weeks ago I began to have pain in my right shoulder blade with radiation down to right hand.  The pain in the shoulder blade and arm was excruciating when I sat,  very strong when I walked and I could only lie down on my back.  I could not sit for almost 3 weeks.  The pain is almost gone but I remain with weakness in my right thumb, index finger and pinky.  I can barely lift them.  I was told that I had a pinched nerve in the C6 area either from the disk or more likely from contraction of the right pectoralis minor or scalene muscles.  Should I expect the strength in my fingers to return?   What can I told to speed up the process?
I'd recommend finding an "ART" specialist in your area. This is short for Active Release Technique, and it's helpful in situations like this... In many cases, strength can be restored.
My grandfather had a pinched nerve.....he used to yell ow ow ow  because it hurt so much.  Good luck Efraim.....Dr. Tanase....I have a reversed curve and I'm tryin to get an understanding of this....is it common?  my chiropractor's face was in shock when he saw my xray hahaha he has been a dr. for 30 years and only seen this twice....It was even funnier when his daughter who is also a Dr. said Whoa!! anyhow....I was searching how to email u for about ten minutes ha ha I added myself on here to ask you.....So, is a reversed curve common? I had an injury in June of this year......could the treatment the chiropractor gives me have done it?  I also had an injury in dec 2000.....whats that eleven years ago...I was piggy backing on my friends back and he dropped me straight on my face and my body fell horrible!! I wonder if that cud have done that?  or as a little girl I underwent major stress because I was taken out of my mothers home and I got a stiff neck at 9 years old....now im 30....my grandmother had MS.....any relation?  thank u Doc :)   sincerly ur reversed neck
Here's a blog post I wrote about reversed cervical curves. They're not normal, but they're also not uncommon.

http://drtanase.com/2010/04/29/what-does-a-reversed-cervical-curve-look-like/