Chiropractic Care Expert Forum
How many visits are too many?

Questions in the Chiropractic Care Forum are being answered by Dr. Adam Tanase, a board-certified Doctor of Chiropractic. Topics covered include Muscle Pain, Nerve Pain, Movement Disorders, Subluxation, Upper Cervical Care, Pain Management, Health Care Alternatives, and Wellness Care.

How many visits are too many?
I am a 34 year old female who recently had her spine scanned at a local store just to see what it said. Then, I was told that there were many "red" areas and for a donation of $10, I was told that I was going to be given free x rays by a chiropractic office. I was then asked to come and listen to a lecture about chiropractic care and get the doctor's findings. The whole group that was present at the lecture was told that they would be expected to come for adjustments 3 times a week for the first 3 months and then 1-2 times for the following 9 months totaling a  year worths of visits. I have never been to a chiropractor before, but thought that everyone healed at different rates (some don't take as long as others). I don't know the total price yet, but am assuming that it will be ridiculously high. Anyhow, I was told that I had subluxations and in relation to the 34-43 degree (sorry, not medically inclined) curve, mine was 5. I was told that if I don't get this taken care of now, I will be in for back surgery before I know it. I actually have never really complained of back pain much, but knew my spine was crooked after the anesthesiologist told me at my last child's birth when he was prepping me for a spinal block. So, my question is how much do I need to be concerned about this 5 degree thing, subluxation, and a curved spine? Also, is 70 some visits a year which would have to be put on a payment plan ahead of time too much? Is this something that can be taken care of through exercise or physical therapy? Not sure what to do. Thanks for your expertise in advance! I appreciate it!
I am not an advocate for cookie cutter, year-long, "it's my way or the highway" care plans. You're 100% correct - everyone is different - we all heal at different rates.

I'd like think that the doctor's intentions are good. He/she probably does want to see your spinal health improve. But there's a difference of opinion amongst chiropractors as to how this can be achieved, as well as the frequency schedule.

A 5-degree cervical curve is something you want to get addressed, but there's no magic number of visits or time frame for it to improve. I've seen cervical curves improve very rapidly, while others take considerable time.

If this were me, I'd listen to my gut instincts. If you have a bad feeling about this, call a few other chiropractors in the area and get some additional opinions. Also, here's a link to an article I posted on my blog. It offers some additional insight on this issue - http://bit.ly/cWh861