Chiropractic Care Expert Forum
Hump on Upper Back with back pain and stiffness daily... I'm 27!

Questions in the Chiropractic Care Forum are being answered by Dr. Adam Tanase, a board-certified Doctor of Chiropractic. Topics covered include Muscle Pain, Nerve Pain, Movement Disorders, Subluxation, Upper Cervical Care, Pain Management, Health Care Alternatives, and Wellness Care.

I am 27 years old in mostly good health except I am about 30lbs overweight. I have a hump on my back, just below my neck on my upper thoracic area. This "hump" was first noticable around 4 years ago and has gradually gotten more prominent. I didn't think much of it at first, but now it is extremely ugly and embarrassing to me - not to mention the daily back pain I endure.

I have daily continuous neck, shoulder, and upper back pain. At night I have tightness and soreness in my lower back as well. When I wake up in the morning, I am stiff all over and stretching does very little to alleviate it. When I do stretch, I "crack" all over - my back, neck, legs and arms - this makes me feel a bit better temporarily.

I'm just so stressed out about this and tired of being in pain. Is there anything I can do myself to help correct this ?? Have you even heard of this before?? HELP! :)

(Story to be continued because of character limit...)
To be fair, I have not seen or examined you. However, from your description of the way the chiropractor explained your problem, I'm a bit skeptical.

I'm wondering if somewhere along the way the lines of communication between him, you, and your MD, have become distorted.

In short, I'd go visit another chiropractor (or two) and get some varying opinions. Trying to get answers over the phone is very difficult without visual inspection and proper evaluation of the problem which can and should be done in-office.
I went to a chiropractor in April 2010, who told me that he thought the hump was actually fluid swelling on both sides of my spine, and made me get a thyroid blood test. The results came back inconclusive. His one adjustment of my back did not help with any of the pain. I resolved to go to a general practitioner to get guidance as to where to go next, because the chiro scared me with possibilities like Cushing's disease or thyroid or liver disease. The general practitioner I went to told me that the "hump" was nothing to worry about - he said it was NOT swelling, but just fatty deposits that were attributed to my weight gain.

However, I still have back pain and the ugly hump, so I went online to research. I found a diagnosis that makes sense - an upper thoracic hump brought on by forward head posture. According to my research, this problem can be corrected with chiropractic care. Here's the catch - I have called all over town and the chiropractors I have spoken to have NO idea what I'm talking about, and aren't sure they can help me. They think I'm talking about a dowager's hump, which comes from curvature of the spine and old age, which I do NOT have. The chiropractor I went to before said that my spine is not curved. The hump is made of fat deposits from posture...

What do I do now? Thanks!
Thanks for your answer but I'm not sure what you find "distorted." I have not called looking for an evaluation over the phone, but simply to find out if I can find a doctor familiar with the upper thoracic hump pattern.
i am have the exact same lump/hump and severe pain DAILY. i'm only 25, about 20 lbs over weight, trying to lose some, but now running very much worsens the pain.  i am by no means a baby, i am used to very harsh cramps once a month, and this pain has me in tears every day, and i'm on my back from afternoon into the night on the ground, flat.  i am no longer working because of it, it is running my life.  i ewnt to my family practicioner who did see the swelling and lump and x-rayed me and sent me to a rheumatologist.  still no answers yet, as my x-rays haven't come back from the radiologist.   the rheumo gave me a muscle relaxer that is not helping the pain, however it is making me kind of sweaty.  just thought i'd let you know i'm right here with you in this.