Chiropractic Care Expert Forum
Leg length discreptency - anotomical with functional
About This Forum:

Questions in the Chiropractic Care Forum are being answered by Dr. Adam Tanase, a board-certified Doctor of Chiropractic. Topics covered include Muscle Pain, Nerve Pain, Movement Disorders, Subluxation, Upper Cervical Care, Pain Management, Health Care Alternatives, and Wellness Care.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Leg length discreptency - anotomical with functional

After years of dealing with shorter right leg, pelvic tilt along with a shorter tibia both right side. I want to treat it properly, with possibly both, it gets confusing. It has been difficult to distinguish which of these too issues is most responsible for the muscular pain. I want / need to get closer to living pain free.

A bit of history:

1) Right Pelvic tilt. On X-ray, in my most painful time the right pelvis was lower than the left and twisted backwards. Was told said position will contribute to a functional shorter right leg. Still have slight spinal S curve too. Sacrum has twisted in the past, better now.

2) Right tibia is also possibly about 1/2 shorter than left (visually) - not confirmed by x-ray though. ****Common sense says my right hip wants to 'drop down' to compensate for the shorter right tibia.****

3) I have always been very physically active my whole life (even now in forties). That has been both good and bad- have had minor injuries that my hip/ lower back did not appreciate.

Treatments: In the past chiropractic would not hold my pelvis in place for very long, I can only guess that the possible short right tibia also aggravates the possibility of the pelvis holding a proper position. I had chiros that treated from the head / neck  down approach too - no luck. 'Gym' equipment physical therapy was a waist of time at a clinic. Manual PT using massage with  Muscle Energy technique seems to help.

At best, I still cannot pursue  physical activity to the level I want to without abnormal muscular stiffness days after. Better, but not cured.  I tried a heel lift with mixed results several years ago. Several pairs of custom shoe orthodics also - do nothing for uneven hip pain.

Q -Any suggestions or other specifics I should ask for?

Q- What is the best X-ray for accurately comparing anatomical leg length? Is it possible to get a standing x-ray, L5 to feet in one film shot- what would I ask for?

thank you