Chiropractic Care Expert Forum
Leg length discreptency - anotomical with functional

Questions in the Chiropractic Care Forum are being answered by Dr. Adam Tanase, a board-certified Doctor of Chiropractic. Topics covered include Muscle Pain, Nerve Pain, Movement Disorders, Subluxation, Upper Cervical Care, Pain Management, Health Care Alternatives, and Wellness Care.

After years of dealing with shorter right leg, pelvic tilt along with a shorter tibia both right side. I want to treat it properly, with possibly both, it gets confusing. It has been difficult to distinguish which of these too issues is most responsible for the muscular pain. I want / need to get closer to living pain free.

A bit of history:

1) Right Pelvic tilt. On X-ray, in my most painful time the right pelvis was lower than the left and twisted backwards. Was told said position will contribute to a functional shorter right leg. Still have slight spinal S curve too. Sacrum has twisted in the past, better now.

2) Right tibia is also possibly about 1/2 shorter than left (visually) - not confirmed by x-ray though. ****Common sense says my right hip wants to 'drop down' to compensate for the shorter right tibia.****

3) I have always been very physically active my whole life (even now in forties). That has been both good and bad- have had minor injuries that my hip/ lower back did not appreciate.

Treatments: In the past chiropractic would not hold my pelvis in place for very long, I can only guess that the possible short right tibia also aggravates the possibility of the pelvis holding a proper position. I had chiros that treated from the head / neck  down approach too - no luck. 'Gym' equipment physical therapy was a waist of time at a clinic. Manual PT using massage with  Muscle Energy technique seems to help.

At best, I still cannot pursue  physical activity to the level I want to without abnormal muscular stiffness days after. Better, but not cured.  I tried a heel lift with mixed results several years ago. Several pairs of custom shoe orthodics also - do nothing for uneven hip pain.

Q -Any suggestions or other specifics I should ask for?

Q- What is the best X-ray for accurately comparing anatomical leg length? Is it possible to get a standing x-ray, L5 to feet in one film shot- what would I ask for?

thank you
1 Comment
Busy forum here.

Well I drove down the road, stuck my left foot out and ground it down on the asphalt - so now it matches the rights side in length. Bleeding was minimal.

Thats what I was thinking of doing, but changed my mind.