Chiropractic Care Expert Forum
Lumbar Denervation Procedure??

Questions in the Chiropractic Care Forum are being answered by Dr. Adam Tanase, a board-certified Doctor of Chiropractic. Topics covered include Muscle Pain, Nerve Pain, Movement Disorders, Subluxation, Upper Cervical Care, Pain Management, Health Care Alternatives, and Wellness Care.

Lumbar Denervation Procedure??

Can you tell me possibly how I am going to feel after I have this procedure next week??  I was told by my Pain Mangagement Doctor that they are going to sedate me and that I am going to be off work for a few days.  I have a 6 month old and I am concerned about how I am going to be able to take care of her.  My husband is going to be out of town for 2 weeks and rescheduling isn't an option.  Any advice or answers?
I cannot tell you specifically how you're going to feel after undergoing this procedure. Better, worse, or the same? The doctor is going to obliterate nerve endings that control pain. I am curious if you've exhausted every other possibility prior to signing up for this treatment?

AT
They did an MRI and Xray and my primary doctor and the PM doctor said that they were both normal.  The first day I seen PM doctor he did a visual evaluation by having me move around and thoroughly describe where the pain is coming from.  From that, he believed it to be my facet joint.  He did a diagnostic lumbar facet nerve block and he said that if I get pain relief for 6 hours than that meant that was where the problem was.  It did help but there was a lot of pain at the injection site so it was kind of hard to tell.  I have been dealing with back pain every since I had my 6 month old daughter, which he also thinks my pregnancy is what caused this to happen.  I just don't really know what to expect.  Do you think his diagnosis could be wrong perhaps??  My primary doctor thought that it could be sciatica at first.
Well, if I were in your shoes, I'd be interesting in researching all of the other options available to me before undergoing an irreversible procedure.

Have you looked into chiropractic care, physical therapy, acupuncture, spinal decompression, yoga, etc...?

AT
No, not at all.  My regular doc just kept putting me on pain meds...whole other story...and finally I asked for the specialist.  I am in the military and stationed in East Hampton, NY so my options are sort of limited.  Do you think it is a bad idea??  Will having this procedure cause me problems in the future?  I obviously know nothing about any of this so when someone with a medical degree tells me I need to have something done..of course I listen..
Well, I haven't examined you, so I can't specifically tell you what you need/don't need.

However, I can say this... You're entitled to second (and 3rd, 4th, 5th) opinions if you want it... and often times, people just do what they're told, and don't question the efficacy of a procedure, or investigate their options.

This might be the perfect procedure for you.. then again, you might be able to get great results from something less intrusive.

AT
Thank you very much for all of your help.  I think I am going to talk to my command and see about talking with another doctor.  There are a few in the area.  I've heard physical therapy helps with all sorts of issues so maybe I could give that a try.  Thanks again and I will be sure to let you know what happens.

Take care