Chiropractic Care Expert Forum
Lump in Neck. Muscle or Mass?

Questions in the Chiropractic Care Forum are being answered by Dr. Adam Tanase, a board-certified Doctor of Chiropractic. Topics covered include Muscle Pain, Nerve Pain, Movement Disorders, Subluxation, Upper Cervical Care, Pain Management, Health Care Alternatives, and Wellness Care.

Lump in Neck. Muscle or Mass?

Hello and thank you for taking my question.

After a couple of weeks of non-tender pain from the base of my skull down my neck and into the top of my shoulders and along my shoulder on the left side that is unrelated to movement, that my internist attributed to muscle spasm / tension, I started to feel around the left side of my neck and found a 'lump' that is fairly deep (it can't be felt or seen superficially and requires quite a bit of pressure to feel), long (at least 2.5 cm long x 1.5 cm wide) and runs roughly parallel to and near the sternocleidomastoid within the occipital triangle. I thought it might be the levator scapulae or other nearby muscle, but I can't feel anything like it on the other (right) side.

I was worried and went to an urgent care facility and the very young doctor said that he thought it was a lymph node, which scared me because of its size and the fact that it is non-tender and I have no identifiable infections or virus. I was so scared that I headed right to the ER, where I saw a Physician's Assistant who also said he thought it was a swollen node but that I should follow up with my internist.

I went to my internist the next day and she said that she thought it was a muscle, then brought her partner in to feel it and he agreed. She prescribed me Soma (muscle relaxer) and Klonopin for anxiety. Neither medication has reduced the size or hardness of the area. Before I left my internists office I asked her if she thought any imaging was necessary and she said no. I have a follow-up with her on Wednesday and am wondering if I should push for a CT or MRI or if it is possible / likely that this muscle could be so much harder, more prominent than the one on the other side.

My obvious concern is a very enlarged lymph node or other mass in my neck. I should also add that I was diagnosed with Adies Tonic Pupil about 1.5 years ago by a neuro opthalmologist. Since the larger pupil is on the same side as the lump, I'm thinking (hoping) that the lump isn't causing Horner's Syndrome.

Apologies for the long post, but any insight that you can offer into my situation would be much appreciated.
Do you have some form of medical training?

If you suspect Horner's, make an appointment with a neurologist. They'll be more proactive with diagnostic tests to rule out the things you're fearing.

Warm wishes,
AT
No medical training, just somewhat of a hypochondriac that has done a LOT of research.

I had CT and MRI of brain, neuro exam and nerve conduction / EMG done by a neurologist about a year and a half ago when the pupil started and it all came back normal. I also saw a neuro opthalmologist around that time that did a lot of testing as well and has followed up with me every three months since. In addition, I had a brain MRI about a week ago that came back clean as well. The only thing no one has really looked at, imaging-wise, is my neck.

The anisocoria may or may not be related to what's going on with my neck, so I guess the basis of my question for you is, is it common for you to encounter people whos necks feel significantly different on either side that DON'T have swollen lymph nodes or other mass in their neck? Shouldn't a normal neck feel symmetrical?
While your neck should visually appear the same on both sides, upon closer examination, one could find subtle differences in anatomy. Perfect symmetry does not exist in the body.

Warm wishes,
AT