Chiropractic Care Expert Forum
Lump in Neck. Muscle or Mass?
About This Forum:

Questions in the Chiropractic Care Forum are being answered by Dr. Adam Tanase, a board-certified Doctor of Chiropractic. Topics covered include Muscle Pain, Nerve Pain, Movement Disorders, Subluxation, Upper Cervical Care, Pain Management, Health Care Alternatives, and Wellness Care.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Lump in Neck. Muscle or Mass?

Hello and thank you for taking my question.

After a couple of weeks of non-tender pain from the base of my skull down my neck and into the top of my shoulders and along my shoulder on the left side that is unrelated to movement, that my internist attributed to muscle spasm / tension, I started to feel around the left side of my neck and found a 'lump' that is fairly deep (it can't be felt or seen superficially and requires quite a bit of pressure to feel), long (at least 2.5 cm long x 1.5 cm wide) and runs roughly parallel to and near the sternocleidomastoid within the occipital triangle. I thought it might be the levator scapulae or other nearby muscle, but I can't feel anything like it on the other (right) side.

I was worried and went to an urgent care facility and the very young doctor said that he thought it was a lymph node, which scared me because of its size and the fact that it is non-tender and I have no identifiable infections or virus. I was so scared that I headed right to the ER, where I saw a Physician's Assistant who also said he thought it was a swollen node but that I should follow up with my internist.

I went to my internist the next day and she said that she thought it was a muscle, then brought her partner in to feel it and he agreed. She prescribed me Soma (muscle relaxer) and Klonopin for anxiety. Neither medication has reduced the size or hardness of the area. Before I left my internists office I asked her if she thought any imaging was necessary and she said no. I have a follow-up with her on Wednesday and am wondering if I should push for a CT or MRI or if it is possible / likely that this muscle could be so much harder, more prominent than the one on the other side.

My obvious concern is a very enlarged lymph node or other mass in my neck. I should also add that I was diagnosed with Adies Tonic Pupil about 1.5 years ago by a neuro opthalmologist. Since the larger pupil is on the same side as the lump, I'm thinking (hoping) that the lump isn't causing Horner's Syndrome.

Apologies for the long post, but any insight that you can offer into my situation would be much appreciated.