Chiropractic Care Expert Forum
Mid-Back in severe pain, just won't pop

Questions in the Chiropractic Care Forum are being answered by Dr. Adam Tanase, a board-certified Doctor of Chiropractic. Topics covered include Muscle Pain, Nerve Pain, Movement Disorders, Subluxation, Upper Cervical Care, Pain Management, Health Care Alternatives, and Wellness Care.

Mid-Back in severe pain, just won't pop

Hello!

I've been suffering from mid back pain for a while, and it's getting to the point where I can't sleep because it's impossible to get comfortable. I'm not skinny, and on the heavier end of ideal for my height, so none of the joints on the upper or lower parts of my back stick out, though they are easily felt under the skin. I've had lower back problems before, but my mid back feels like it's protruding abnormally, and the joints there stick out visibly. Arching my back inward hurts in my mid back to the point of being unbearable. I'm trying to pop them, but absolutely none of the resources I've found online have helped.

I have a chiropractor, and he generally asks about 10 dollars for a quick neck, sternum, back and hip realignment, but I'm kind of hard on cash and can't afford that anymore. That being said, I don't have money for a foam roller or anything like that. I do have a yoga mat, and hardwood floors, and walls to use though! I've also got a boyfriend, but he's not quick on the upkeep, so if anything needs to be done on another person's part, break it down into easy to understand instructions.
Here's what I've tried:

-Every stretch on http://www.wikihow.com/Crack-Your-Back that page. These did not get a single crack, and every one of them hurt like hell to do.
-Standing three feet from a wall, feet flat on the floor. Hands against the wall, and pushing my pelvis inward. I pushed inward until it became to much to bear, about when my feet were lifting off the floor, and did not get a single pop
-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpItcucpO0A Everything this guy does in the video, both on the ground and using the couch. Both sides, when using the couch, gave a tiny pop, but nothing like they do when my chiropractor does it, and even this hurt, because my boyfriend kept readjusting where his hand was and pushing on very tender pressure points in my glutes, causing my whole leg to hurt. I'm willing to re-try this, again, if you can break down what we both need to do in terms that someone very simple can understand, because I know this wasn't done properly, and the video does **** all to explain what he's doing.
-Laying on the floor face down, with my boyfriends foot on my back running shoulder to shoulder, starting above my shoulder blades and working down, increasing pressure as I breathed out. This worked great for my upper back, but stopped working towards the mid back, and we didn't try the lower back as that curves in too far and just pushes very uncomfortably on my intestines. Many times doing this, it felt like we were close, but right at the "good spot", the pain became unbearable, causing my whole body to tense up (which of course just made it hurt more.), and then we couldn't continue.
-pressing my hands behind my back, and leaning back and pushing in at the same time. This did absolutely nothing, but I may be doing it wrong, because beyond "pushing in" no on thinks to explain beyond that. Push in how far? In what direction? What should I be looking for? Seriously, if I knew these things, I probably wouldn't be looking up tutorials online. You'd think more people took this into account.

This is all I tried, and all I can think of. I should probably also mention that the only chair we have in the house is one with wheels, and a back that bends back (it doesn't tighten to be stiff, nor does it ever stop bending. It providers no support to use as a tool in the way people describe.

I'm also aware this whole thing sounds very, er, chalk full of attitude. I'd be very grateful for help, but I've been in this kind of pain for weeks now, and every tutorial I've found either didn't help, or was written by someone who doesn't exactly understand the definition of "detail". It's literally like, lay down, put hand under your back and magic! it pops. They don't tell you where to put your hand, whether to ball it or lay if flat, what hand it ought to be if it matters, nothing. I swear to god this is the most frustrating part of the whole deal. Please, dear god someone help.
I also have mid back pain and went to my chiropractor for relief. I let it go for a very long time, over a year so i knew i'd have to keep going at least weekly to get it to stay aligned. I'd go a day pain free and move funny and it'd pop right back out. So i would go as long as i could and make an appointment the next week. Its expensive and a long drive so it got me a thinkin. The maneuver he did to get that area to pop was have me sit up and he's lower me back on a raised padded bar. He'd move it for each vertebra until he hit the one out of alignment. SO i rolled up a towel on the floor and laid back on it. To my amazement, it popped easily and the pain was instantly gone. There are some youtubes on this maneuver, maybe if you see them my instructions will sound logical.
Along with doing this, i've learned what is making that part of my back pop out. I no longer do these things, mostly what causes it is sitting in a bumpy ATV. When it pops out, it misalignes a rib which is a dead giveaway when i feel that pinch in my side.  Other things it was doing was giving me heartburn and heart palpitations, all which went away when that vertebra was lined back up.