Chiropractic Care Expert Forum
Mid back and spinal pain

Questions in the Chiropractic Care Forum are being answered by Dr. Adam Tanase, a board-certified Doctor of Chiropractic. Topics covered include Muscle Pain, Nerve Pain, Movement Disorders, Subluxation, Upper Cervical Care, Pain Management, Health Care Alternatives, and Wellness Care.

Mid back and spinal pain

I am 26.  For the past year or so I have had a lot of mid back and spinal pain.  I am having a particularly painful day today.  Sometimes my spine hurts, sometimes its just mid to upper back but today I have them all and the pain increases when i inhale.  Most time my movements are restricted.  There is no comfortable position for me, even lying down.  My question for you is ofcourse what could be wrong and most importantly who to see?  I really  have no idea if I should just find a chiropractor or another type of doctor.  I have no clue where to start.
Lindsay, thanks for writing.

The symptoms you describe are some of the most common I hear from young women your age. Often times, poor posture creates a spinal imbalance that allows muscles along the spine to get strained... and it's hard for them to ever relax because your posture has become a habit for you.

A good place for you to start would be consulting with an Upper Cervical chiropractor. Dr. Christopher Amato is in your area if you'd like to contact him.

I hope this information benefits you.

Warm wishes,
AT