Chiropractic Care Expert Forum
Neck Pain and Headaches

Questions in the Chiropractic Care Forum are being answered by Dr. Adam Tanase, a board-certified Doctor of Chiropractic. Topics covered include Muscle Pain, Nerve Pain, Movement Disorders, Subluxation, Upper Cervical Care, Pain Management, Health Care Alternatives, and Wellness Care.

Neck Pain and Headaches

I am 31 yrs old and have had back/neck issues since about 18 yrs old.  Over the last 6-7 years the pain has centered in on my neck.  About every 10 days, one side or the other of my neck becomes very stiff and painful causing a severe headache on the forehead of the same side of the head.  This neck and head pain lasts for 3 days each time.  MRI has come back clear.  Was given some "anti-depressants" to see if that would help with the tension/pain - it didn't.  Every time this happens, my left shoulder appears to be rather elevated - doesn't matter which side of neck hurts.  Have any ideas what this may be or what I can do to relieve the severe headaches it causes?
I would suggest you find an Upper Cervical specialist in your area and receive an examination. Upper Cervical care has achieved a high percentage of results caring for patients with similar symptoms. A referral directory can be found online at www.UpCspine.com.

Adam Tanase, D.C.
www.drtanase.com
I live and work overseas 2-4 years at time and when I'm in the USA I'm always having to travel, so it's hard to stay with one chiropractor during my time there.  I have seen several chiropractors and have also had massage therapy overseas.
The last time I saw a chiropractor in the USA, he said the x-rays showed the top part of my neck was a "military neck" (too straight) and the bottom part was a little "pinched".  He also saw that my left leg is 3mm shorter than the right at the hip so he gave me some shoe lifts for that.  
Do you have any suggestions for what I might be able to do on my own to bring some relief to the neck stiffness/pain and severe headaches that it causes until I get back to the USA again in 1-2 years?!  Thanks!
You might be able to get some preliminary relief with using one of these: www.posturepal.com

Adam Tanase, D.C.
www.drtanase.com