Chiropractic Care Expert Forum
Need info about Sublexated shoulder - was I diagnosed right?

Questions in the Chiropractic Care Forum are being answered by Dr. Adam Tanase, a board-certified Doctor of Chiropractic. Topics covered include Muscle Pain, Nerve Pain, Movement Disorders, Subluxation, Upper Cervical Care, Pain Management, Health Care Alternatives, and Wellness Care.

I had been sleeping on my right side for years while stretching my right arm out underneath the pollow next to me. One night i noticed it hurt to do that. As time went by, 2 months, this pain got worse and i noticed moving my arm in other directions would cause pain in different muscles of that arm.. bicep, shoulder and back.  I told my chiropractor about this and after describing the symptoms he said he wanted to try something. Holding my arm by my side with my arm closed as if i was trying to touch my shoulder, he cupped his hand under my elbow and pushed up. There was a loud crack. This he explained to me was my arm being poped back into my shoulder socket. I had not known it was out. He explained this was a sublexated shoulder as opposed to a dislocated shoulder where in that case, the arm was also out of the shoulder socket, but the tendons and ligaments were damaged, causing the arm not to stay in the socket. He said the sublexation was the lesser of the two and that i would need to put heat on the muscle groups to help them heal because they had become too elastic and needed to tighten up. He said most people who have a sublexation do so due to injury and most of the time once they heal the arm is fine.

Does all this sound right to you guys?

I have also read this page http://www.shoulder1.com/care/condition20.cfm/15 which said a sublexated shoulder would hurt very badly, is often a recurrent problem and would require treatment right away - I didnt experience those things. My arm hurt, but only when i moved it certain ways not all the time. I let the problem go for 2 months because i didn't think it was a major problem until it steadily got worse. Thats when i decided to ask my chiropractor about it.Since my experience was different than this, and since the chiropractor did not take an xray I wondered if this was indeed the right way to diagnose or treat the problem.

What do you think?
Tags: sublexated shoulder