Chiropractic Care Expert Forum
No curve to lower spine - Please help!

Questions in the Chiropractic Care Forum are being answered by Dr. Adam Tanase, a board-certified Doctor of Chiropractic. Topics covered include Muscle Pain, Nerve Pain, Movement Disorders, Subluxation, Upper Cervical Care, Pain Management, Health Care Alternatives, and Wellness Care.

No curve to lower spine - Please help!

Almost two weeks ago, I was bent over my bathroom sink, brushing my teeth. When I was done, I raised up only to feel sharp pains shoot through my lower back. Here I am, almost 2 weeks later, and I am feeling a little better but the problem is obviously still there.

I am seeing a chiropractor who says he has reason to believe that I have a protruding disk around L5 (he did tell me he can't tell from x-rays, but my symptoms and his tests match up). Also, I have lost the curve of my lower spine. My spine is stick straight. I have a 0 degree angle at my bottom vertebrae and my pelvis does not tilt. I am constant pain if I don't use ice every two hours as he recommended.

My questions are: Is this called Loss of Lordosis? Are you born with it or does it develop? I do have a history of back problems, with my L4 vertebrae being turned to the side. Should I have a MRI?  In your experience as a Chiropractor, have you seen this condition improve? Right now, my chiro has me working only 4 hours a day. My boss is really on me, asking me questions like, "When does he think you can work full time again?" among other questions. I've only seen him twice now! I am just so stressed out with the pain and then the pressure from my boss.

Thank you for your time!
Yes, the curvature in your lower back is referred to as a lordosis. When the angle gets smaller (thereby straightening the spine) it's referred to as a change or loss of lordosis. It develops over time - it's not congenital.

As long as the disc heights are healthy, vertebral bodies are not fused, and joints are moving normally, then yes, the lordosis can certainly improve.

As far as your boss goes, I can't give you advice on how to handle that... I can't agree or disagree with your chiropractor's recommendations regarding how much time you should be working.

It's reasonable for your employer to want to be fully informed regarding your ability to work... but if it took 10-20+ years for your spine to get to where it is now, it's unreasonable for anyone to assume it'll magically spring back to normal in a few weeks.

Healing takes time.
Thank you so much. My chiropractor has not said anything about fusion or disc heights. But today I was almost pain free without the help of meds. I hope it is improving.

I am sorry for putting the dish out about my other problem though. I think that was more of a rant out of frustration. I certainly didn't intend to try to get you to help me with that one. So sorry!

I went today for an adjustment. He said I can go back full-time on Monday.

Thanks again for your help!
A related discussion, remedies for loss of lordosis was started.