Chiropractic Care Expert Forum
Pain from extensive note taking

Questions in the Chiropractic Care Forum are being answered by Dr. Adam Tanase, a board-certified Doctor of Chiropractic. Topics covered include Muscle Pain, Nerve Pain, Movement Disorders, Subluxation, Upper Cervical Care, Pain Management, Health Care Alternatives, and Wellness Care.

Pain from extensive note taking

I have found that a lot of my chronic neck and shoulder pain is due to my posture, Particularly due to rolled-shoulders and head forward positions for extended periods of time. I have been working on my posture and have had very good results. However, at work, I take extensive hand written notes while talking to clients. I perform evaluations in different environments and don't have much control over the ergonomic setting. I usually end up sitting and holding a clipboard and paper in my lap while interviewing a client and writing in this position. It is not unusual for interviews to last up to three hours, with some brief breaks of course. Inevitably, I end up experiencing neck shoulder and arm pain, as well as headaches, which can last for days. Any advice, tips or pearls of wisdom to help overcome this professional dilemma would be greatly appreciated. I already have a helpful exercise and stretching program, but I cannot find a proper way of performing my work with such extensive note-taking without exacerbating this long-standing problem.
Unfortunately I don't have a prolific answer for you. If your line of work requires you to take notes while sitting for long periods of time, there's no overt way that I can suggest for you to avoid it.

Just make sure you balance out this mechanical behavior with stretching and exercise afterwards. Otherwise, in time, overuse injuries are inevitable.
Avoid medicines and pain killer injection, you should go to a professional chiropractor.It may help you a lot.