Chiropractic Care Expert Forum
Possible pinched nerve

Questions in the Chiropractic Care Forum are being answered by Dr. Adam Tanase, a board-certified Doctor of Chiropractic. Topics covered include Muscle Pain, Nerve Pain, Movement Disorders, Subluxation, Upper Cervical Care, Pain Management, Health Care Alternatives, and Wellness Care.

Possible pinched nerve

I've had pain on my left side, from my neck, down through the shoulder, into the left arm for at least 3 years. Sometimes my arm will feel a little tingly. It can go a little on the right side but mostly on the left. I went to my family practice doctor 2 years ago and he thought it was a pinched nerve and sent me to PT and to do a nerve conductor test. The test did not show damage and I quit going to PT because I didn't see a difference.

I went back to the doctor recently and he's ordering a MRI. While I'm waiting for that I got a free coupon to a local chiropractor for a free exam, x-ray and consultation so I thought I'd try that. I've never been to a chiropractor before and have always been a little leery about them. Also, my insurance doesn't cover chiropractic care.

I went to see this chiropractor last week and he took a frontal and side x-ray of my head, neck and shoulders. When he showed me the x-rays I was puzzled and a little concerned because the frontal view looked like the spine in my neck was curved to the right, at an angle. I asked him if I wasn't standing up straight and he said I was. The side view showed some natural curve, then straightening towards the bottom of my neck, near the shoulders and he said it should all have a natural curve, (spine curves till C5, then straightens and he said it should curve all through the curvical area).
He pointed to the bottom part of my neck and said there wasn't as much spacing and the discs were closer together in C5, C6 and C7 and the discs are not as defined.
He said I have Subluxation Degeneration and am in Phase 2 (C 4/5, C 5/6 C 6/7). If I get to Phase 3 he said it usually requires surgery.
I have some limited mobility in my neck, especially turning it to the right.

He would like to try adjustments but can't guarentee he can completely straighten my spine. Should I try this? Does this sound like a pressed nerve or something else? What could have caused this? What else can I do? Thanks!
It's certainly not a "bad" idea. Give it a try and see how things go...
Yes, I'm going to try it, thanks.
What did you think of those readings? Is it something to be concerned about yet? Not sure I understand why the spine is curved to the right like that or what caused the pain. I hope I can find some answers and relief soon.