Chiropractic Care Expert Forum
Problems After Chiropractic Adjustment

Questions in the Chiropractic Care Forum are being answered by Dr. Adam Tanase, a board-certified Doctor of Chiropractic. Topics covered include Muscle Pain, Nerve Pain, Movement Disorders, Subluxation, Upper Cervical Care, Pain Management, Health Care Alternatives, and Wellness Care.

Problems After Chiropractic Adjustment

I went to chiropractor for the first time in my life (after much hesitation.) I had lower back pains. Chiropractor told me he would check me and let me know whether and what adjustment I need. After he checked my back, he, all of sudden, took my left arm, pinched it twice (with something that is supposed to relax muscles - I don't know) and twisted my elbow, supposedly for "adjustment of radius." This all was done without my permission or knowledge. Second after he pinched me, I started feeling tinging going down my arm (from elbow down to my fingers.) Since then, the tingling and numbness have gone worse. I cannot even drive with two hands, the numbness never stops, is constant, wakes me up 3-4 times a night. I am not sure what to do and how it can be fixed. I only pray the damage is not permanent.
1 Comment
It has to be wrong to give an adjustment without warning.  The same thing happened to me.  I was laying on the table face down, and the chiropractor felt up and down my spine.  I was expecting her to tell me to turn over like all of the other chiropractors did.  Instead, all of a sudden, an elephant landed on my back.  I resisted and now I am in a lot of pain on my left side, especially the rib area.  Fortunately I have a good medical doctor who can check out my ribs for breaks.  My appointment to have my ribs checked in next Friday and then I will go back for more chiropractic treatments but I want to know what happened and how can I avoid it in the future?

Do I just stay away from that chiropractor?  Is there something I could have done to prevent the problem?  Should I say, "Be sure you let me know before you adjust me" or what?  It should not have happened and I want to know if there is a rule that they have a duty to warn us before they land on us.  I am angry.  This stupid ***** said afterward, "You can't tell me that no one has ever done that movement on you before." and I said, "Yes, I can say that."  Then she said, "Oh, you have never had regular treatments before?"  And I said, "That's right."  I don't know what that was supposed to prove, but I think her point was that I was an idiot.