Chiropractic Care Expert Forum
Psoas Muscle

Questions in the Chiropractic Care Forum are being answered by Dr. Adam Tanase, a board-certified Doctor of Chiropractic. Topics covered include Muscle Pain, Nerve Pain, Movement Disorders, Subluxation, Upper Cervical Care, Pain Management, Health Care Alternatives, and Wellness Care.

Psoas Muscle

I am a female, 21 years old, and am being treated for psoas muscle pain (trigger point therapy)  in my lower abdomen and lower back by a PT/Chiropractor.  I've had this pain for a good 2 years but it just recently got a lot worse.  The doctor who is treating me believes the muscle is not working right; that it has not adjusted to my body as I have grown.  The only problem is that along with this pain I have developed a distended abdomen (that is even worse after I eat).  I've seen a gastroenterologist and tests have ruled a lot out.

Have you heard of psoas problems causing bloating like this?  The pain has improved about 40% with treatment however the distention is still terrible.  Could something else be wrong with this muscle that is causing this symptom?

Thanks for your time,

Missy
Missy,

Honestly, I have not heard of psoas problems causing abdominal distention. But I can admit that I don't know everything...

If a specialist feels that this could be the case due to abnormal development, then it's a possibility.

I'm curious about your digestion... do you have regular bowel movements? Or constipation, diarrhea, and/or excessive gas?

Warm wishes,
AT
Nope.  My only symptom's are bloating and sometimes nausea.  That's why it doesn't sound very much like a GI disorder, and possibly why my GI specialist has not been able to find a cause yet.

Doing research on my own I read that your intestines lay on top of your psoas muscle which is interesting.  Also, that there are stomach nerves in your spine close to where the psoas muscle attaches?  I could be wrong...

Thanks for responding
Avatar n tn
A related discussion, Psoas muscle and stomach discomfort was started.