Chiropractic Care Expert Forum
Shoulder pain after physical therapy

Questions in the Chiropractic Care Forum are being answered by Dr. Adam Tanase, a board-certified Doctor of Chiropractic. Topics covered include Muscle Pain, Nerve Pain, Movement Disorders, Subluxation, Upper Cervical Care, Pain Management, Health Care Alternatives, and Wellness Care.

Shoulder pain after physical therapy
    Can physical therapy cause more pain than what you started with?

I'm a 16 year old female and I injured my shoulder from playing softball. I've been doing physical therapy for a year now and I had an appointment on Tuesday the 5th of this month. During the appointment they used ultrasound, and electrical impulses to see if that would help me. Today which is the 6th of August my shoulder and my whole arm has throbbing pain that won't go away. Could the physical therapy done something to my shoulder to make me have constent pain? Please help.
I haven't known Physical Therapy to induce new problems. PT's are usually very good about isolating the troubled area and working to improve strength, stability and motion. Did they have you perform any exercises that day, or was it strictly the ultrasound and e-stim?

Warm wishes,
AT
I also did exercises that same day.
It's possible that the exercises they had you perform could have made the condition intensify. How does it feel today? Has the pain subsided?

Warm wishes,
AT
  Its hurting worse because on the 15th my doctor did an injection in the back of my shoulder to see if that would help but it didn't it just hurts worse.