Chiropractic Care Expert Forum
Sporadic Neck Pain, and numbness in head and face

Questions in the Chiropractic Care Forum are being answered by Dr. Adam Tanase, a board-certified Doctor of Chiropractic. Topics covered include Muscle Pain, Nerve Pain, Movement Disorders, Subluxation, Upper Cervical Care, Pain Management, Health Care Alternatives, and Wellness Care.

Symptoms: Random Severe pain at the back right base of my skull that feels like a stabbing pain. It also includes a shooting pain that goes over the right of my skull, right ear, and the right side of my face. It makes my tung go numb for a couple minutes, and my right eye close in pain. The sharpness of the pain usually dissipates within 10-20 seconds, but it leaves a sore achy pain in the back of my neck/base of skull for a day or so.

I have been in a few car accidents over the years and had written off the sporadic pain since it was so infrequent.
When it happens its maybe when I turn my head fast (randomly) sometimes during a laugh. I can't pin point the catalyst... very random. Happening more frequently over the last 2 or 3 years or so.

I've bees searching for an answer lately and am worried that it may be something more serious than just a lingering whiplash effect. Please help.

Thank You
Based on your description, this is likely the result of an upper cervical misalignment. Here's a link to a list of Upper Cervical specialists in California -- there are at least 3 of them in Santa Ana: http://tinyurl.com/ov9fs9

Adam Tanase, D.C.
www.drtanase.com