Chiropractic Care Expert Forum
Stenosis

Questions in the Chiropractic Care Forum are being answered by Dr. Adam Tanase, a board-certified Doctor of Chiropractic. Topics covered include Muscle Pain, Nerve Pain, Movement Disorders, Subluxation, Upper Cervical Care, Pain Management, Health Care Alternatives, and Wellness Care.

Stenosis
Hello -

Is there any beneficial chiropractic treatment for spinal stenosis?  I have lumbar stenosis (moderate to severe at L4-L5).  I am only 35 years old and I know I have had this for many years.  I also have sore joints and muscles throughout my back and neck.  I have some DDD throughout.  I am 6'4 and weigh 270 pounds.  I know I need to lose weight to help, but are there treatments in the meantime?  I know I may need surgery someday, as I have leg pain and weakness from time to time, but I want to know if there is something that can help hold that off for a while...

Honestly, losing weight is the best approach you can take right now. Focus most of your time and energy on that, and you'll see the best results.

As for chiropractic care, stenosis is not something that will disappear from an adjustment.

Warm wishes,
AT
You answered a question about chiropractic care helping spinal stenosis and stated an adjustment wouldn't help. Are there surgical  options for opening a narrowing spinal pathway? Thanks
The most appropriate person to address that question would be a neurosurgeon. They have the most up to date information on surgical intervention for spinal canal stenosis.

Warm wishes,
AT