Chiropractic Care Expert Forum
T8-T9: 2mm left paracentral disc extrusion

Questions in the Chiropractic Care Forum are being answered by Dr. Adam Tanase, a board-certified Doctor of Chiropractic. Topics covered include Muscle Pain, Nerve Pain, Movement Disorders, Subluxation, Upper Cervical Care, Pain Management, Health Care Alternatives, and Wellness Care.

I am trying to do research on my MRI results because my chiropractor said it was a rare herniation, but didn't actually go into detail explaining it.  Because it is so rare I have barely found anything, except for a forum on this website by people who have this type of condition/similar.  From what I gather it said 1 in 1,000,000 get thoracic disc herniations, especially for the T8-T9 (it's without stenosis).

The findings say:
No compression fracture, spondylolisthesis or marrow replacement process.  No visualized intrathecal or paraspinal mass.

There is decreased signal through the thoracic discs, most prnounced in the lower segments, with multilevel endplate spurring.  Multilevel lower thoracic and upper lumbar Schmorl's node invaginations, without associated marrow edema.

T7-T8: Disc bulge, without stenosis
T8-T9: 2mm left paracentral extrusion impinges upon the thecal sac, without stenosis
T9-T10: Disc bulge, without stenosis

What does this all mean?
You are correct, this type of disc herniation occurs far less often than those within the lumbar spine (lower back).

The findings you shared are merely a description of how the disc spaces look between the 7th and 10th thoracic vertebrae.
Thank you so much for responding.  So as far as the diagnosis, I'm wondering what's the prognosis for something like this?  I also heard that a paracentral disc extrusion is rare in comparison to a protrusion, but have no clue what either one is... how serious this can be/get... the best way to treat.. just know that since I hurt it 2 1/2 months ago its been a constant pinching in my spine and shoulder blades and radiating pain around to the front of my body... not to mention my 8 bulging discs, degenerative disc, arthritis and sciatica-  all of which acted up yesterday... I tried using the Butrans patch and had adverse reactions and was in agony all night.  I just want to understand what is wrong with me so I canget some type of relief.
Generally speaking, thoracic disc herniations are "treated" conservatively. This involves rest,and rehab-type exercises to strengthen the surrounding musculature. Medical physicians commonly prescribe pain-relieving meds as well.

The difference between a disc "extrusion" and "protrusion" involves whether or not the outer part of the disc ruptures. If the material remains intact (bulging), it's a protrusion. When it's damaged (allowing inner material to leak out) it's an extrusion.