Chiropractic Care Expert Forum
Upper left back pain between scapula and spine

Questions in the Chiropractic Care Forum are being answered by Dr. Adam Tanase, a board-certified Doctor of Chiropractic. Topics covered include Muscle Pain, Nerve Pain, Movement Disorders, Subluxation, Upper Cervical Care, Pain Management, Health Care Alternatives, and Wellness Care.

I was lifting weights about 6 months ago and felt a pop in my upper left back. 3 hours later i was at the emergency room with spasms so bad i could not move. It hurt even to breathe. They gave me a shot and flexerol and i took it easy for a month. I began lifting weights lightly again and the same pain happened, but not as severe. Took off another 4-5 weeks, got up to my 6th pull-up and my back started spasming again. I have a constant ache in my back between where my scapula sits and my spine. The injured muscle near the scapula makes my shoulder blade move differently from my good shoulder blade. My shoulder from the front view, seems to be sagging in comparison to the other good side. When i do light lifting of boxes or carrying groceries or throwing a ball the pain level greatly intensifies. When i am mentally stressed, it effects my back pain. It also causes my shoulder to move even more awkwardly. I've seen doctors for MRI and EMG and all reports say nothing. I don't know where to turn from here. I've begun doing some light cardio and some light reps of weight lifting per my doctor's request. I also did therapy for 3 months. None of this is helping me. It seems that since this occured my neck seems strained as well. Please state your opinion or any ideas my doctor and i could look into.

Thank you for your time,
Jason
I'd start by meeting with a rehab-based chiropractor. Specifically, see if you can find a doctor close by who specializes in A.R.T. (Active Release Technique). They'll analyze you a bit different than your MD has, and may be able to offer insight into correcting and preventing this problem from occurring again in the future.