Chiropractic Care Expert Forum
loss of muscle control in legs

Questions in the Chiropractic Care Forum are being answered by Dr. Adam Tanase, a board-certified Doctor of Chiropractic. Topics covered include Muscle Pain, Nerve Pain, Movement Disorders, Subluxation, Upper Cervical Care, Pain Management, Health Care Alternatives, and Wellness Care.

loss of muscle control in legs

I am 28 years old. Yesterday morning I woke up and went to open the curtains I  walked around a chair in the Living room. I went to take another step and I could not move my left leg. It started to twitch and I fell to the floor. The paralise lasted for about 15 seconds. I got up and felt kind of weak. I the weakness and on and off numbness lasted the whole day. Now I have some shooting pain that comes and goes. I have some back pain but not in the lower portion of the back it is in the middle. I do not have any sciatic nerve pain. If someone can give me some info or possible solutions PLEASE let me know.

THANKS
There's nothing normal about that incident, Sherry. I would consult with your GP and get a neurology referral. They will provide a full work-up and determine why it occurred.

Adam Tanase, D.C.
www.drtanase.com
I did go to the GP and he is sending me for an MRI that is schedualed for Monday I also have a ref to the Neurologist for next week. I also called my chiropractor for some info he wants a copy of the reports from the MRI. I am looking for some insight to what it may be. Thanks for your time.

Dr. Tanase,

I went to an MRI on Feb 16th, They found that I have center Stenosis between L4-L5, L5-S1. I do have a question. I went to the Neurologist today, almost the first thing out of her mouth was surgery. I am going to get a second opinion. She seemed very excited about the whole thing. I was wondering is there another option rather then the knife ? I really have not besides today (it is raining) have felt sorness or pain in my lower back, I just had a little stiffness.

Thanks in advance,

Sherry
Hi Sherry, thanks for the update.

Sometimes surgery is the only option. With central canal stenosis, it's not so much an "if" but a "when" the surgery is needed. It all depends on the severity.

I agree, however, with your intent to get a 2nd opinion. I would ask a neurosurgeon, specifically. You'll probably get referred to a spinal orthopedic surgeon, but I would still get a consult with a neurosurgeon before any surgery is performed.

Adam Tanase, D.C.
www.drtanase.com