Aa
A
A
Close
Confused about Antibiotics and G/C testing
Hello:

I was wondering do antibiotics interfere with g/c urine testing??? I took a urine test a week ago 6 weeks post exposure but was taking flagyll for bacterial vaginosis. A few weeks before I was taking macrobid for a UTI. My result was negative. Could the antibiotics have given me a false result??? Should I retest??

Thanks
Cancel
7 Answers
Page 1 of 1
207091 tn?1337713093
It could have.  If you are concerned, retest after you are done with the macrobid for 2 weeks.

AJ
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
My question is similar. I took cephalexin for strep throat and I finished that up 21 days ago. I just gave a urine specimen for a G/C test. I would think three weeks  would be long enough to allow the chance of a false negative result due to antibiotics...what do you think?
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
207091 tn?1337713093
3 weeks is fine.  As long as its been about 2 weeks since your last antibiotic dose, you are fine to test.

Aj
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
I had a similar circumstance, I was taking antibiotics for another reason a day prior to my G/C test.  

I was still prescribed the antibiotics to cure G/C, prior to the negative results.  So if the antibiotics I was already on interfered with the results, the antibiotics I was prescribed should still clear up any infection, right?

The antibiotics I had been taking previously shouldn't have had any effect on the ones prescribed to cure G/C?  I believe I was given a shot of Rocephin and a single dose of 2mg Z-Max.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
207091 tn?1337713093
Yes, they would have cleared it up.

Its interesting that they gave you the meds before testing you.  Makes no sense really.

Aj
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
They gave me a bunch of antibiotics because I complained of sore/pain testicles/groin area.

Now I'm just really concerned because I'm still having a painful groin area (no swollen visible lymph nodes)..  Just a dull aching pain.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
207091 tn?1337713093
Then you need to follow up with your doctor, maybe get a prostate exam or an ultrasound of the area.  Its not std-related.

Aj
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Submit Answer
A
A
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Chlamydia Community Resources
Top STDs Answerers
Blank
Fleetwood20