Chlamydia Community
Abnorml Pap result with chlamydia bacteria.

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Chlamydia issues such as: Causes, Chlamydia in Women, Exams and Tests, Medications, Prevention, Research, Risks, Support, Surgery, Symptoms, Treatments, What to ask your doctor.

Hello.  Here is my scenario.  My wife has routinely gone to annual exams with no complications.  She was initially called a week later and told that her labs and pap smear results were normal.  A week following, she was told that her pap was abnormal with a colposcopy ordered and that she had chlamydia bacteria.  We were both prescribed antibiotics.  I didn't believe the test so I was tested for chlamydia prior to treatment. After giving my sample, we still took the treatment however, four days later my results came back negative.  If she had this std and we have unprotected sex with each other, shouldn't I have tested positive or is this a lab error or false positive.  Neither of us have had symptoms but I'm confused.  14 years married and to my knowledge we haven't slept with anyone else during that time.  Should I be concerned that she had it and I didn't and does this play any role with her possible abnormal pap smear.  Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated.  
my doctor also told me that it may be a false positive on her test or she actually got it recently.  I'm just trying to find peace and clairity to this scenario.
There is a chance that she had a false positive because after 14yrs there is no way this STD could have stayed dormant that long or that you didnt get it prior. When did the symptoms start?  Usually within the first 6 months if not sooner she would have shown signs.

Is there any possibility that she is sleeping with someone?  I am not telling you that she is but there is no way to tell now that you both have been medicated.

If her pap test came back abnormal she most likely has HPV as well.

I am not an expert at all in STDs however something weird happened to me last year.

I was sleeping with someone from Jan to the end of Feb and by the beginning of March I started showing symptoms but because I have Endometriosis i never thought of it being an STD.  Well I had bleeding during sex, I was extremely wet and I mean gushing wet, and then I started to get severe cramping.  I ended up with PID on top of Gonorrhoea.

The guy told me he was negative when he was tested and still to this day claims I was the one who gave it to him.

The last time I was with someone before that was over 2yrs ago and I had regular STD testing and they were all negative.

I was so confused and stumped as to where the F@@@ I got it from if I was negative before and he was claiming he was negative and was even tested in Jan before we were together.ARGH!!

Anyhow I was on the phone with an STD hotline and they told me it could be dormant for your whole life which confused me as I was told by my doctor and everyone else there is no way it could and that the only person it could have been was the guy that was telling me he was negative.

Mine for sure was not a false negative as I almost passed out because of the intense pain I was in.

We have never shown any symptoms at all.  Shouldn't I have tested positive for chlamydia as well and aren't STD tests routine with annual exams?  I can't believe if this is accurate it isn't show until now.  We had problem with her pap a year or two ago where they didn't get a good sample and she had to go back.  She did and everything tested fine.  I believe the chances of her being with someone else are slim to none.  If she has hpv could she have had this the whole time?  I thought it goes away on it's own and chlamydia doesn't go anywhere unless treated
And as far as my test is is correct.  I brought the printout home
HPV is very common and is only transmitted through sexual intercourse.

Even if in your past a condom was used in prior relationships you can still get it.  

It is possible that she did have a false positive as it does sound like you know your wife and you trust her so thats a good thing.

I would move on from it and have peace of mind that at least it is treated and now to be more concerned with the HPV as that is something that doesnt go away  and needs to be treated in which you said she already had the colposcopy.  

I wish that I could help you more but I am in no means an expert at all in this field just from my own experiences and what I have read.
I am in the same situation.  I had an annual and tested positive.  I have been only with my husband of 10 years and have had an annual pap and never tested positive for any STI.   I asked for a repeat test and am awaiting results.   I wish I had some advice to offer but I did want to show you that there are others in this situation.
I hope all works out with both our situations
me too.  Will have the results on Monday and would like to just put my mind at ease.  I find myself so distracted by this.  Like your wife I also had an abnormal pap.  The doctor did say to me that science wasn't perfect all the time.  I would go with the false positive on your wifes test.  All the best with yourself and your wife.  Will let you know how we made out as I did retest prior to starting meds.
I just wanted to let you know that my retest was negative.  The clinic called and apologized and told me.  This whole thing rattled my nerves and truthfully shook my marriage.  Now I doubt the findings of my pap and am having it redone prior to going any further.  I am so happy but so frustrated.  Wonder how many false positives have broken relationships?  Wishing you a happy ending to your situation
Hi,  The first thing that doesn't sound right is that 1 week after your wifes annual she received a phone call saying her pap was normal, but then 1 week after that 1st call she then received another call saying her pap was instead abnormal and she needed a colposcopy?   That says one of two things to me: 1. The doctors office confused your wifes results with another patients or some kind of mix up OR  2. your wife initially lied about the first phone call and normal result thinking she was fine and just told you that to make you feel good but when she did actually get the real call about it being abnormal had to tell you and just played dumb. Normally, most doctors offices follow the "no news is good news policy" (meaning they only call if they get an abnormal result) so find out her doctors procedure for relaying test result information.  Also, pap smears generally only tell you whether cervical cells are normal or abnormal, but not a specific cause like chlamydia.  It is much easier for women to contract chlamydia and most other stds than men, so there is a possibility she had it and you didn't catch it. Chlaymdia is known as the silent disease according to the CDC so its very likely niether of you had symptomsif you in fact did have it. (http://www.cdc.gov/std/chlamydia/stdfact-chlamydia.htm) I don't know you so hopefully you're not taking my opinion personal, just trying to give you an unbiased second perspective. Unless I'm misunderstanding the story or missing info, something just doesn't sound right.
False positive confirmed at the office.  Sorry haven't been available to finish this but that's what it was and dealt with new staff in training.  Thank God all was well.  
Glad everything worked out for you too
Have a Chlamydia question?
100,000+ doctor answers