Chlamydia Community
Bladder Infection or Chlamydia or Gonorrhea ?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Chlamydia issues such as: Causes, Chlamydia in Women, Exams and Tests, Medications, Prevention, Research, Risks, Support, Surgery, Symptoms, Treatments, What to ask your doctor.

went to the doctor today because for the past 4 days i have had  to urinate pretty frequently and i have a bit of discomfort in my lower abdomen and when i do urinate it comes out in spurts at first and then a steady stream.
no discharge or burning sensation when i urinate.

the doctor said they needed to do a urine test,  it could be a bladder infection but they would also test for chlamydia and gonorrhea.  she said since i am in a monogamous relationship it's probably not an std.  

i don't think i've had these symptoms before but they're mild so i'm worried that i may have overlooked them.  just wondering if symptoms of these two stds can come and go? can the symptoms appear years after being infected?
can you get either of these stds from giving oral sex  (anal and vaginal) ?  

thanks.
i also had back problems for the last few months and they just all of a sudden stopped right around the time i started having the bladder problem.  weird, but i guess probably unrelated.
Symptoms of gonorrhea and chlamydia wouldn't come and go like that.

Chances are its a bladder infection, but it was good that she tested you for other things - she is covering all the  bases, and that's a good thing.

Aj
i will be very relieved if it's just a bladder infection.  thanks for getting back to me.
Even though its probably a bladder infection, you still need to see the doctor.

Aj
yes, i'm just waiting for my urine test results.  i assume i will have to go back to see the doctor again.  i don't know how it could be an std because i have been having sex with the same person for a long time.  hopefully it's not that or any other serious problem.
the more i read about this the more i think i have been infected for a long time and have had no symptoms until now.  the problems urinating, discomfort in abdomen and frequent urination are complications of an std.
Don't get ahead of yourself - those are all symptoms of a bladder infection, too.

Aj
yes, but bladder infections are not as common in men as in women and are usually caused by stds, or so i have read.
Bladder infections are not caused by stds, but they can give the same symptoms.

Did they do a urine test in the office?  They can do what's called a dipstick test to see if you have a bladder infection, and will have the results in about a min.  Maybe you need to have one of those done while you wait for the std results.

Since you are symptomatic, if your dipstick test comes back negative, they can start you on meds for an std.

Aj
I think I figured out why I've been urinating so much.  I've been drinking a lot more water lately than I usually do.  Normally I have a couple of cups of coffee and maybe one or two glasses of water a day.  I have been drinking a lot more than that for the past week to 10 days.  I am such an idiot.  It makes sense that it would be because of the amount I've been drinking because when I go, I urinate a normal amount, not just a little bit at a time.  The problems urinating and the lower abdomen discomfort may just be in my head.  

Anyway, I am glad I did the urine test and at least I'll know if I have chlamydia or gonorrhea.  I doubt I have it, but you never know.  I think I will test for all other STDs as well just so I know.