Chlamydia Community
Can female to male oral sex cause Chlamydia Bronchitis if there was no ...

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Chlamydia issues such as: Causes, Chlamydia in Women, Exams and Tests, Medications, Prevention, Research, Risks, Support, Surgery, Symptoms, Treatments, What to ask your doctor.

Can female to male oral sex cause Chlamydia Bronchitis if there was no ejaculation?

My partner loves oral sex and I enjoy pleasing him. We broke up last summer and, only since mid-February, have we been together again. Two weeks ago, I developed a scratchy throat and cough which was diagnosed as Bronchitis.

I was given 10 days of 2x/day 500mg of Clorythromycin. After almost a week on the medication, my coughing worsened. Yesterday, I was prescribed steroid inhaler and prednisone to go with the antibiotic. I have sinus discharge down the back of my throat and feel absolutely wretched.

Is it possible, without him ejaculating, that he unknowingly transmitted undiagnosed Chlamydia to me? Should I have my physician test for Chlamydia since wheezing in my lungs was the reason for the added steroid treatments? Should he be tested just in case?

I see that Clorythromycin is a good treatment for Oral Chlamydia, would my treatment (completed in next 2 days) mask any test results that I have/had Chlamydia? Thus, should he be tested, as he has been my only sexual partner for over a year, while he dated others. I want to protect our health. What is the best course for us to take, both be tested and treated?

Thank you for your time to answer this question. I hope it will help others too!
Oral chlamydia would be rare and your symptoms would have nothing to do with chlamydia.

He should test to make sure he doesn't have anything and would not be a bad idea for safety for you to test also.

I believe the symptomology is in keeping with Chlamydia spectrum of infection:

The family Chlamydiaceae consists of two genera. One species of Chlamydia and two of Chlamydophila are important in causing disease in humans.
http://pathmicro.med.sc.edu/mayer/chlamyd.htm
    "Chlamydia trachomatis can cause urogenital infections, trachoma, conjunctivitis, pneumonia and lymphogranuloma venereum (LGV)

Chlamydophila  pneumoniae can cause bronchitis, sinusitis, pneumonia and possibly atherosclerosis

Chlamydophila  psittaci can cause pneumonia (psittacosis)."
Perhaps this is new data, however, plenty exists that associate my symptomology with Chlamydia, unfortunately.  

I'd like to learn, too, how long after a potential exposure would these symptoms develop and should I still be tested for the antibodies created as my body attempted to fight the infection? Will the Clorithromycin have cured it? And how long before treatment for my partner and I would it be before we can resume protected sexual activity?
Those are different strains that are not associated with a STD. Reread what I said as oral chlamydia would be rare at best. Only way to know if you have oral chlamydia is a throat swab.

Partner needs to test before any treatment.
Thank you Vance2335,
At my age, I needed a refresher in safe sex and forgot that the oral was as also important to be protected.

I guess, having a Roman Catholic upbringing and being pulled from every health class that discussed sexuality didn't help AT ALL, so I get freaked out by the potential of anything related to sexuality. We will both be tested and put that to rest. Thanks again for your information and reassurance.
Your bronchitis and sinus infection is unrelated to having oral sex.

But what you can pick up that can cause an irritation in the throat and sometimes white tongue or white blotches, is Thrush.  

As you have been taking an antibiotic now, this can cause Thrush (Candida Albicans) down below and in your mouth too.  So drink live yogurt.  Your doctor can prescribe Canesten, or Canesten HC for down below  and also Daktaryn gel for the mouth.

If you do get Thrush down below or in yur mouth, make sure yur partner is also treated for Thrush even though he may not have any symptoms.  This is a fungal yeast infection and can be passed to each other.

The fungus lives on our body, but if the flora is not right it gets out of hand.  Also make sure you wipe your bottom from front to back, wear loose clothing, not tights or tight trousers.  Thrush likes humid and warm conditions.