Chlamydia Community
Can you get Chlamydia Trachomitis by casual contact or only through sex...

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Chlamydia issues such as: Causes, Chlamydia in Women, Exams and Tests, Medications, Prevention, Research, Risks, Support, Surgery, Symptoms, Treatments, What to ask your doctor.

Can you get Chlamydia Trachomitis by casual contact or only through sex?

My urologist said you couldn't get it from casual contact, only from sex.

But some of the websites I read said it can be spread from casual contact and bad hygiene. Why is that? For instance:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trachoma

[quote]Causes

Trachoma is caused by Chlamydia trachomatis and it is spread by direct contact with eye, nose, and throat secretions from affected individuals, or contact with fomites (inanimate objects), such as towels and/or washcloths, that have had similar contact with these secretions. Flies can also be a route of mechanical transmission. Untreated, repeated trachoma infections result in entropion—a painful form of permanent blindness when the eyelids turn inward, causing the eyelashes to scratch the cornea. Children are the most susceptible to infection due to their tendency to easily get dirty, but the blinding effects or more severe symptoms are often not felt until adulthood.
Blinding endemic trachoma occurs in areas with poor personal and family hygiene. Many factors are indirectly linked to the presence of trachoma including lack of water, absence of latrines or toilets, poverty in general, flies, close proximity to cattle, crowding and so forth.[2][3] However, the final common pathway seems to be the presence of dirty faces in children that facilitates the frequent exchange of infected ocular discharge from one child’s face to another. Most transmission of trachoma occurs within the family.[2][/quote]

http://www.medhelp.org/medical-information/show/3128/Trachoma

[quote]Causes, incidence, and risk factors

Trachoma is caused by infection with the bacteria Chlamydia trachomatis. Symptoms being 5 to 12 days after being exposed to the bacteria. The condition begins slowly as conjunctivitis (irritation near the eye, "pink eye"), which if untreated may lead to scarring.

If the eyelids are severely irritated, the eyelashes may turn in and rub against the cornea. This can cause eye ulcers, further scarring, vision loss, and even blindness.

Trachoma occurs worldwide, primarily in rural settings in developing countries. It frequently affects children, although the consequences of scarring may not be seen until later in life. While trachoma is rare in the United States, certain populations marked by poverty, crowded living conditions, or poor hygiene are at higher risk for this illness.

Trachoma is spread through direct contact with infected eye, nose, or throat secretions or by contact with contaminated objects, such as towels or clothes. In addition, certain flies can spread the bacteria.[/quote]

But others, even within Wikipedia, say it's sexually transmitted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chlamydia_infection

[quote]Chlamydia infection (from the Greek, χλαμύδα meaning "cloak") is a common sexually transmitted infection (STI) in humans caused by the bacterium Chlamydia trachomatis. The term Chlamydia infection can also refer to infection caused by any species belonging to the bacterial family Chlamydiaceae. C. trachomatis is found only in humans.[1] Chlamydia is a major infectious cause of human genital and eye disease. Chlamydia infection is one of the most common sexually transmitted infections worldwide; it is estimated that about 1 million individuals in the United States are infected with chlamydia.[2][/quote]

Yet the same link above on the SAME PAGE says it can be caused by casual contact! Look:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chlamydia_infection#Eye_disease

[quote]Eye disease
Main article: Trachoma

Conjunctivitis due to chlamydia.
Chlamydia conjunctivitis or trachoma was once the most important cause of blindness worldwide, but its role diminished from 15% of blindness cases by trachoma in 1995 to 3.6% in 2002.[3][4] The infection can be spread from eye to eye by fingers, shared towels or cloths, coughing and sneezing and eye-seeking flies.[8] Newborns can also develop chlamydia eye infection through childbirth (see below). Using the SAFE strategy (acronym for surgery for in-growing or in-turned lashes, antibiotics, facial cleanliness, and environmental improvements), the World Health Organisation aims for the global elimination of trachoma by 2020 (GET 2020 initiative).[9][10][/quote]

So which is it? Is it sexually transmitted only, or not? Why did the writer of the wikipedia article above seem to contradict himself?

Can anyone explain this discrepancy?
Wikipedia is not 100% accurate...anyone can post anything they want on there. I believe they are 2 different types of infections but I will ask someone else with more knowledge to take a look.
Ok here is a better answer. Chlamydia has different forms and only 1 is a STD. And the others can be tranmitted from casual contact like pink eye. it is all the same basic form of bacteria but transmission is different. So you don't really get chlamydia of the eye it is pink eye.

Did you test positive from a urine or swab test for chlamydia?
Hello. My first response is to tell you to be cautious in reading Information on the web when you may not have the education or experience to interpret that information. This website has been very good to give sound and accurate advice. I say that even though I ,myself am a frequent contributor. Your urologist is correct. Vance is correct. The information given on trachoma is correct. BUT, trachoma is not the same disease as genital Chlamydia. they are same species but different serovars. OK end of lecture..please follow Vance`s advice.