Chlamydia Community
Chlamydia Blood Test Result

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Chlamydia issues such as: Causes, Chlamydia in Women, Exams and Tests, Medications, Prevention, Research, Risks, Support, Surgery, Symptoms, Treatments, What to ask your doctor.

Chlamydia Blood Test Result

I've just had a blood test for Chlamydia. I went to a hospital in Costa Rica, (I had no sypmtoms, but I know that regular HIV and chlamydia tests are a good idea, Ive been having monogumous unprotected sex with my boyfriend for about 8 months) and they gave me a blood test. My results came back with a positive IgM (1.43) result and a negative IgG result (0.663). Having read more on the internet I have discovered that blood tests for Chlamydia are unreliable. Also having read more I have felt like I have had slight lower back ache for some time, and I have had A couple of urinary tract infections. I have had also had bouts of herpes in the past (3 bouts over 3 years). Is this positive result a sure sign of me having Chlamydia? I know that the treatment is an easy course of antibiotics for me and my partner, but the thing I am concerned about is the "if left untreated can cause serious infertilty problems". Does 8 or 9 months count as being left untreated for a long time? Is there anything else I can do?
I would just like to add, the more I read on this, the more I am aware that I should not have had a blood test, I am now fully aware of that, however, the main question I am asking is, now with a positive blood test result, should I just go back and demand a swab/ urine test, or should i take the medicationa nd inform my boyfriend?
going back to ask for the swab test will not hurt, after all you want to be sure before you start a dose of antibiotics. At the same point in time I would advise you to act quickly because 8-9 months is a long time for something like that to be left untreated. An ex of mind passed chlamydia to me and I did not know for 2 months and that was long enough. The antibiotics take care of it quickly. So I definitely say inform the boyfriend of the results and have a swab test done as well.
Thankyou for your quick reply.

So how scared about further complications do I need to be???

I honestly am not sure. I'm sorry that I can't help in that aspect. I know that I was told the sooner the better when it comes to taking care of those things.