Chlamydia Community
Chlamydia Test Confusion

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Chlamydia issues such as: Causes, Chlamydia in Women, Exams and Tests, Medications, Prevention, Research, Risks, Support, Surgery, Symptoms, Treatments, What to ask your doctor.

Chlamydia Test Confusion

I have been with the same partner on and off for the past 3 years.  During our "off" periods, he has been with others, but I have not. We recently got back together (2 months ago) and I have tested positive for Chlamydia (found out last week).  I had been tested about 5 months ago (after we broke up) and my results were negative then, so I automatically thought my partner must have gotten it from somebody before we were back together and passed it on to me within the past 2 months - and I spoke with him about it. He was very concerned because he was tested the month before we got together and all his tests came back negative (all STD tests).  Because of my positive test, however, he decided to go and get re-tested - so he went last week.  His test results just came back - negative again!  How can it be that I tested positive and he negative? I have not been with anybody but him in the past 3 years, and my test results 5 months ago came back negative.

At the same time that I was diagnosed with Chlamydia, I was also told I have BV.  I was diagnosed with that once before - about a year ago, but my doctor said i didn't need to be treated.  I did end up taking the anti-biotics for it, though, about 3-4 months ago.  Since I got back together with my ex, however, the BV came back as well.  Could this be at all related to the Chlamydia results???

Thanks.  
It is thought that sometimes other infections may trigger the test and cause a false result. They are very sensitive to detecting infections.  Since he had a false result, then you probably had a false positive.