Chlamydia Community
Chlamydia dormancy

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Chlamydia issues such as: Causes, Chlamydia in Women, Exams and Tests, Medications, Prevention, Research, Risks, Support, Surgery, Symptoms, Treatments, What to ask your doctor.

Chlamydia dormancy

First, I'd like to give some background as to the reasoning for my inquiry.  When my spouse and I had initially met, I had not been sexually active for approx 19 months.  My spouse claims that she had been abstinent for approx 9 months.  At approx 7 months into our relationship, I started exhibiting symptoms of painful, and frequent urination.  We were both tested for STDs, and a positive result of chlamydia was attained.

To gain some insight, is it possible to answer the following questions:

1) How long can chlamydia stay dormant for (undetected) within both males and females?
2) Can chlamydia stay dormant for an extended period of time (in this case 7 months) within a supposed monogamous relationship (unprotected sex)?
3) Within a supposed monogamous relationship, is it more likely that the male is more prone to exhibit symptoms before the female?

Thanks in advance,  
1) Dormant is the wrong word...never dormant. Chlamydia can be present in men probably 1+ years with no symptoms. In women can be present 18-24 months with no symptoms. Anything longer while possible would be vary rare.

2) Again not dormant, just no symptoms. Yes

3) Yes...about 50%-60% of men will get symptoms within 2 weeks and then by 1 year will get all kinds of symptoms. In women only about 20% get symptoms within 2 weeks.

And it is possible for a man to have unprotected sex with a woman who has chlamydia for months and not get infected.
Thanks for your reply Vance.  I see that "dormant" is the wrong word to use, I apologize.  At the time in which the positive results for chlamydia were attained, I was advised by the Dr that, given the circumstances, it was very unlikely that the relationship was truly monogamous.  Despite that knowledge, I had chosen not to end the relationship, and trust my (at the time girlfriend) spouse.

I realize that I am working with odds/percentages and a lot of other variables.  At the time, some things were just not sitting well with me.  After 20 years in this relationship, and with some signs of infidelity, I am just trying to make an educated decision........one in which I can live with.

Thanks again,  
I am a little lost here. You speak of 20 years now but above talk about 1 1/2. I don't really follow what is going on or what went on and when this happened.

I would not say that it was unlikely based on the 1st situation that there was infidelity. I would say that it was probably closer to a 50/50.
The chlamydia incident happened at the beginning of our relationship, about 20 years ago.  Even though I've tried to trust my wife with all my heart, there was still a minuscule (gut) feeling that has stuck with me through the years.

Only as of late (within the last 4-5 years) have there been some signs of infidelity.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Oh ok. Now I understand a lot better.
Let me help. The tests for Chlamydia 20 years ago had a high percentage of false positives. Some of those tests are still available unfortunately. I feel strongly that you had a false positive test and what you may have had was NSU.
Thanks Dallasfan,

At the time, both her and I tested positive.  I understand that the tests 20 years ago were not as reliable as those we have today.  That said, for two false positives to be the case,  the odds to me seem to be really low.  I'm just trying to make an educated (and reasonable) assessment.

I'm not familiar with "NSU".  Can you explain?
NSU or NGU is a bacterial infection often can be mistaken for chlamydia but it is bacteria that is listed as other then chlamydia. It causes symptoms similar to chlamydia.

Dallasfan can probably explain it better then I can if he sees this.