Chlamydia Community
Chlamydia test false negative?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Chlamydia issues such as: Causes, Chlamydia in Women, Exams and Tests, Medications, Prevention, Research, Risks, Support, Surgery, Symptoms, Treatments, What to ask your doctor.

Chlamydia test false negative?

Can the test they give you at the STD clinic possibly be a false negative?  I went in to be tested for STDs because my husband had an affair, a 14 month affair and never used protection ONCE! (Dork!)

I have had recurring vaginal infections for the last year or so that just kept coming back and the last one right before I got tested was TERRIBLE!  Like nothing I have ever had in my life!  When the nurse heard my symptoms, including my lower back pain and the intermittant bleeding between periods (which is SO not like me), she was SURE I had Chlamydia and treated me presumptively with 2 Zithromax, I believe.  She said we would not know conclusively until the culture or whatever test came back.

When the test came back, ALL my tests were negative.  Even chlamydia.  We were SURE I had chlamydia.  I am stumped!

What is going on with my body!?  The antibiotic worked, but now my infection is coming back and I haven't even been with my husband because we are separated, living in two separate states.  I have continued to have occasional spotting or sometimes dark discharge and it is getting worse again, along with all the other symptoms, including the lower back pain, particularly on the left side.  I have had this low back pain for several months in fact, since last summer, off and on.

Could I have Chlamydia and the test have been a false negative and the antibiotice just did not knock it out?  I have been known to be extremely resistant to antibiotics in the past, so it would not surprise me.  I have been battling vaginal infections for years, but nothing like what I've been dealing with in the last year, since his affair.

Anyone have any ideas?????

Also:  I got a RAGING infection right after our honeymoon that left me with severe vaginal pain during intercourse for years after that.  Could I have contracted Chlamydia from my husband as far back as our honeymoon 13 years ago and been battling these redurring infections (chlamydia) all this time?  I have never been tested for it before now.  It took us 5 years to get preganant, even without birth control, and then another 2 years after that for our second.  We had never used birth control.  
Well I'm guessing you've tested for BV and Yeast as these would have been the first two your doc would think of... Have you tested for Trich?? if not I would test for that. Also you said all of your test came back normal have you tested for ALL STDs or just a few.

If you haven't tested for all STDs then I would consider having that done... I would return for a test for Trich and see where that goes, you may have to work with your doctor and it may take a few visits but that is the only way you will figure this out.

I'm sorry your husband was a JERK!! I hope you feel better
thanks for your reply.  I got tested for everything that the clinic tested for.  Gonorrea, Syphylis (SP?), Chlamydia, HIV, Hepatitus (hepatitis) B, and maybe one other.  But I'd have to look at my test results to see if I was tested for Trich.

I assume BV is Bacterial Vaginosis?  I have had that many times throughout my marriage. Funny how I don't remember having these problems before I got married.  What exactly causes that and why did I keep getting it?  Does anybody know?  Could I have been getting it from my husband over and over again throughout the years?
BV is caused by an abnormal amount of the normal vaginal bacteria.. this can be caused through taking bubble baths, wiping back to front, change in soaps...  ect. Its not an STD.

I would also make sure they tested you For herpes it would say HSV on your papers.

And I woudld make sure you tested for Trich... it would actually say trichomoniasis as that is the full word, Here is a link for symtems of Trich.

http://www.cdc.gov/STD/Trichomonas/STDFact-Trichomoniasis.htm