Chlamydia Community
Chlamydia treatment didn't work

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Chlamydia issues such as: Causes, Chlamydia in Women, Exams and Tests, Medications, Prevention, Research, Risks, Support, Surgery, Symptoms, Treatments, What to ask your doctor.

Chlamydia treatment didn't work

I was diagnosed about a month ago and given a single treatment. I presume that it was azithromycin
I had no symptoms but was curious to get an STD test as I'd never had one.
Was totally shocked to find out about chlamydia infection.

Went and go retested last week and to my horror, doctor calls me today and says I have to come in again.
The test was positive!!! How is this possible?
I feel so disgusting about getting it in the first place but now the treatment hasn't worked i feel worse.
How can I get rid of it? Help.

Also one of the people I slept with ( only 2 unprotected, yes stupid I realise now ) about 4 months ago got tested and he doesn't have it.  Is it likely I didn't have it back then?? Im worried about long term damage if I have had it for ages.
How long ago exactly did you test positive the first time?  If it was less than 3 weeks, its possible you still have dead chlamydia DNA that the test is picking up on.

If the guy 4 months ago was negative, its a good chance, but not a definite, that you didn't have it when you were with him.

And there is nothing disgusting about chlamydia.  Its a bacterial infection just like strep throat, etc.  Don't get caught up in thinking its bad because you got it from sex, ok?

Aj
Thanks aj

Guess I just didn't think of myself as someone that would get an STD :(

I tested positive just over a month ago 30th July or so, doc told me to get another test after a month so I did last week. It was a urine test both times if that matters.

Well, this time, your doctor should give you doxycycline to take, instead of another round of azithromycin.  If you get azithromycin, make sure its 1000 mg.

And no one ever thinks that they are the "type" of person that would get an std, yet well over half will get one in their lifetimes, if not more.  Unfortunately, the way things are now, if you have sex, you are now the type of person that can get an STD.

Check out these stats -

* 2.8 million NEW cases of chlamydia each year

* 1 in 4 women, 1 in 5 or so men have genital herpes type 2 - 30-50% of all new genital herpes infections are type 1 from oral sex

* about 80% will have HPV in their lifetimes

There are no "types" of people who get stds anymore.  In fact, you are more likely to get one than not get one.  :(

Aj
Back in January me and my partner tested positive for chlyamdia we got treated with the one dose treatment  we waited 2 weeks before having sex but was told that oral sex was fine, everything seemed fine then in march my partner had symptoms again so we went and got tested and the our surprise the yet came back positive for chlyamdia again they treated us with the same treatment and said no sex for 10 days and that this included oral well we waited 12 and now my partner is having symptoms again and I just don't know what to do! The last time I was treated I asked if there was another course of treatment I could take but they said the one dose was the best and that it should work fine the second time but clearly it hasn't !
Is there another course of treatment me and my partner can take?