Chlamydia Community
Chlamydial Eye Infection?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Chlamydia issues such as: Causes, Chlamydia in Women, Exams and Tests, Medications, Prevention, Research, Risks, Support, Surgery, Symptoms, Treatments, What to ask your doctor.

Chlamydial Eye Infection?

Hi and thanks for such a great forum!

I tested positive via a swab and urine test for Chlaymdia on Wednesday of this week after showing common symptoms (discharge, pain when urinating).  The cause was unprotected vaginal and oral sex with a new partner.  I received a single dose (250mg x 4, 1mg) of Zithromax and took it the same day after eating.  

On Saturday I woke up to find my right eye (only) quite red and swollen with some crusty puss around the tear duct area of my eye.  As of today (Sunday), the symptoms of the gential (genital) chalmydia are all but gone and my eye is slightly better than yesterday (less painful, red, however more pus after sleeping;  I'm assuming the infection kicked in Saturday morning).

I'm going for a retest in the New Year (unfortunately my clinic is closed until then).   Am I worrying about nothing and should treat this as a normal eye infection?  After a little reading I noticed that Zithromax would be used to treat the eye infection too;  would the dosage be the same if so?.  The only thing I can think that may have affected the antibiotics was a single (bottle) alcohol drink on Friday night.

On a side note, I live in Japan and didn't quite understand all the Japanese the doctor was sayinh.  He suggested that I should wait a week after taking the antibiotics before resuming sex.. and obviously, use a condom.  Is this normal practice?
I do not know much about the eye infection.  But I do know that it is common practice to recommend not having sex for at least a week after treatment.
IT's pretty difficult to get Chlamydia in the eye. But, the dose you took will not cure your eye if you managed to get it. If it doesn't get better, see an eye doctor, Blindness will occur if it's not treated.
Quick update, I visited an eye doctor and was diagnosed with Pink Eye.  I informed her of my STD infection but said it was highly unlikely.  Hopefully it will clear up ASAP.
Im glad to hear that! Yeah, again, it is very rare to get that. Good luck treating your pink eye, i hate that. :)