Chlamydia Community
Chlamydial Eye Infection?
About This Community:

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Chlamydia issues such as: Causes, Chlamydia in Women, Exams and Tests, Medications, Prevention, Research, Risks, Support, Surgery, Symptoms, Treatments, What to ask your doctor.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Chlamydial Eye Infection?

Hi and thanks for such a great forum!

I tested positive via a swab and urine test for Chlaymdia on Wednesday of this week after showing common symptoms (discharge, pain when urinating).  The cause was unprotected vaginal and oral sex with a new partner.  I received a single dose (250mg x 4, 1mg) of Zithromax and took it the same day after eating.  

On Saturday I woke up to find my right eye (only) quite red and swollen with some crusty puss around the tear duct area of my eye.  As of today (Sunday), the symptoms of the gential (genital) chalmydia are all but gone and my eye is slightly better than yesterday (less painful, red, however more pus after sleeping;  I'm assuming the infection kicked in Saturday morning).

I'm going for a retest in the New Year (unfortunately my clinic is closed until then).   Am I worrying about nothing and should treat this as a normal eye infection?  After a little reading I noticed that Zithromax would be used to treat the eye infection too;  would the dosage be the same if so?.  The only thing I can think that may have affected the antibiotics was a single (bottle) alcohol drink on Friday night.

On a side note, I live in Japan and didn't quite understand all the Japanese the doctor was sayinh.  He suggested that I should wait a week after taking the antibiotics before resuming sex.. and obviously, use a condom.  Is this normal practice?