Chlamydia Community
Does Chlamydia Mean Infidelity or is there reasonable doubt?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Chlamydia issues such as: Causes, Chlamydia in Women, Exams and Tests, Medications, Prevention, Research, Risks, Support, Surgery, Symptoms, Treatments, What to ask your doctor.

I recently contracted chlamydia from my girlfriend (she is going in to get tested soon).  We have had an 8 month relationship where we have had unprotected sex on more than one occasion.  However it wasnt until we had unprotected sex for the first time during her period.  Soon after that I had symptoms. and the doctor said it was Chlamydia. Now  I dont want to accuse anyone of anything and I truely believe she is not cheating on me.  So is it possible that she caught it from a previous partner before we met and it laid "dormant" up until now?  Granted she doesnt have any symptoms.  There is no way I could have gotten it from anyone but her. (Sex wise)
but then how did I catch it just now and not the first or other times we had unprotected sex?

Thank You.
Chlamydia is not dormant, it is always active. Yes she could have had it for maybe up to 18 months. And just because someone had chlamydia doesn't mean it transmits it to someone else.
Chlamydia does NOT lie dormant.
It is possible to be asymptomatic (not symptoms)
With women this is fairly common as up to 80% may not even know, so yes it is possible she had contracted it previously. In any case it is very important that she get this issue resolved and start treatment which is fairly simple.
If left untreated it can lead to further complications such as pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). PID is a major cause of infertility, miscarriage and ectopic pregnancy.
I Hope this has been educational for you.
Some may not like my answer! The research for chlamydia over the years was about how chlamydia is transmitted sexually but so far nobody can say there has ben a research to find out if it can be transmitted by other means. The "most common" way to be infected with chlamydia is by sexual contact. Again, NO one can say or point out a research that was directed to see if it can be transmitted by other means.

You just have to remember that;
Spending money on research stops when the cure is found.
Doctors will tell you what hey read at school and updates they receive during their practice. Not all doctors do testing and research.
Do you think the doctor will actually analyze your relationship (past and present) to find out how the infection happened? Of course not.
At this point and while the research is in pause mode, lets just say it is incomplete. FYI, doctors are humans and not all of them are geniuses!

Have a Chlamydia question?
100,000+ doctor answers