Chlamydia Community
Doxycycline side effects

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Chlamydia issues such as: Causes, Chlamydia in Women, Exams and Tests, Medications, Prevention, Research, Risks, Support, Surgery, Symptoms, Treatments, What to ask your doctor.

Doxycycline side effects

Hey there

I recently had a brief unprotected sexual encounter, with someone who assured me they had recently been tested for STDs and the results had come back clear. I, however, am a worrier when it comes to sexual health, and took myself along to a local GUM clinic, 3 days after the encounter, was tested, (came back negative) and also received two tablets (I am unsure what these were) to treat gonorrhea just in case, and also 7 days worth of doxycycline. My first question would be is 3 days long enough to get an accurate reading?  And also, if I did indeed briefly have these two infections, would I now be clear of them?  How soon after would I be non contagious? I abstained for 8 days post treatment, under the advice of the clinician.

Secondly, since finishing my treatment, I have had what seems quite similar to uti symptoms...needing to pee frequently, and if I dont drink plenty I had a shooting pain in my lower abdomen, and also some itchiness. Could these just be caused by the antibiotics?

Many Thanks in advance
Also, I would like to add, I now have breakthrough bleeding, mid cycle....this is disconcerting for me, as although I have the copper coil, I have not suffered with this in at least 3 months.
Hi and welcome. Normally its about one for testing for gono and chlam but it dosent matter now because you were treated anyway. You really might want to find out more what they treated you for. Waiting the 8 days was ok as the doc recommended but you still seem to have some issues so i would wait till you get futher information.
Symptoms of urge to urinate could be imaginary or maybe you have a nsu/uti. which is a nonspecfic urinary trac infection.
Really follow up with your health care provider.
One day until it will show up on test? I was thinking the uti could be because I am feeling increased anxiety about it...perhaps in my mind. And the bleeding could possibly be because of particularly rough sex? I never got a positive for the stds, the swabs were negative. The medication given to me, I was told, was doxycycline specifically for chlamydia as a precaution, and the other tablets were a high dose of something which treats gono...so I assume I am clear either way, what with negative swabs as well....but I think perhaps I have a secondary infection like thrush or something from the antibiotics? I do find that the more I think about it, and the more anxious I feel, the more I seem to feel the pee problem...surely if it were an actual problem I would feel it regardless of whether or not it was on my mind. Thank you for your reply.
I ment one week, sorry i was typing fast!
haha, I do that alot. It's ok. I am going to call the doctor tomorrow to ask about the bleeding. I have found that since speaking to NHS Direct this evening, and having my concerns relieved somewhat, that the uti "symptoms" are calming, I do think it's just anxiety causing me to believe it's worse than it is. Thanks for your input though
I like your attitude. God will give you a long life!
Why thank you x