Chlamydia Community
How common is a false positive test for chlamydia?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Chlamydia issues such as: Causes, Chlamydia in Women, Exams and Tests, Medications, Prevention, Research, Risks, Support, Surgery, Symptoms, Treatments, What to ask your doctor.

I went to do my papsmear and results came back with positive for chlamydia. I contacted my most previous sexual partner (one time thing), he just recently did a body check and nothing turned up. He was healthy. I told my boyfriend, which whom I have had sex millions of times, to get tested, he said his test was healthy.

My one-time-thing partner didn't catch it from me nor give it to me, fine. But if I had it, my boyfriend MUST have it from me too because we have had sex countless times after my last sexual partner. How come his test is negative?

I understand that there's always a chance that he's lying, but I don't really see a reason why he had to lie since I already came clean about my sexual history and admitted to having chlamydia. If he had it, he simply had to blame it on me and I would have been perfectly convinced that I caught it before he and I got together.

So how common is a false positive test for chlamydia? Last time I had a yeast infection which lasted 4 months even I was consistently on prescribed medication throughout. It's not the first time that's happened. I'm on the pill. The doctors say I have a weak immune system.  Does any of that play a role in the test results? I have no idea where I got this chlamydia now, if I really had it. If I really really did have it, my boyfriend MUST have it too, but he didn't....... Which makes me wonder if that test was botched?? How likely is that?
ps: I've already been treated, did another test to confirm that it's really gone. Is there a way to test whether I have EVER contracted chlamydia even if it's cured now?
When did your bf test?

False positives are rare but when done through part of the pap smear they are more common. Still uncommon but possible.
He tested after I told him I had it. My last papsmear was...... 2 years ago? And I was clean back then. And his test came back clean too. The one night stand person's test was clean as well. How common is a false positive for chlamydia? It was just a routine papsmear, i didn't ask to be tested for STDs specifically, it just came back positive for chlamydia.

I have a history of yeast infections that don't go away easily. Would that confuse anything down there? I really want to know where I caught it, if I really had it.
I can't say how common or uncommon...no real stats that are kept, just thatduring the paps done now a false positive is more common.

There is no way to tell if you had it or it was a false positive. Did your bf show you his test papers? Just want to make sure everything is covered. He should receive threatments even if his test was negative.
He didn't show me his papers but I just don't really see a reason why he has to lie. If he had caught it, and I admitted to having it, he could've just said it was from me. He didn't receive treatments. We have had sex millions of times after my treatment and I have gone to the doctor for yeast infection medications, done 2 lab tests and both confirmed only monilia and no chlamydia or anything else. I'm, just very annoyed now. Telling him I caught chlamydia changed our relationship. Makes me look like i'm a sIut even though it's obvious that we've both had sexual partners before being with eachother. Still, admitting to catching some disgusting STD when I never had it in the first place, is really really really frustrating.