Chlamydia Community
Long term effects

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Chlamydia issues such as: Causes, Chlamydia in Women, Exams and Tests, Medications, Prevention, Research, Risks, Support, Surgery, Symptoms, Treatments, What to ask your doctor.

Long term effects

I have been married nearly 29 years. About 15 years ago my husband and I were treated for chlamydia. The doctor asked us how many partners we each had. I know for a fact that I have never ever cheated on my husband and he told the our Dr. the same thing. Is there any way a person can get chlamydia other than sex and can it last for years without any signs of it being in your system?
About 8 years ago my husband started to have pain in his back and we went to the Dr. to find out he was trying to pass a kidney stone. Then he started having problems with urinating. It took a while to start up and longer to finish. He also had pain deep inside his lower back almost to the tip of his spine. After several trips to the Dr. we found out he has scar tissue about 2 inches worth in his urethra that needs to be surgically removed. Being that its quite a process, he refused to have this done. He thought he was passing another kidney stone and would not be able to pass it but after suffering for 5 days with a very high fever and vomiting I dialed 911. He had an infection that started in his urethra caused by left over urine. This traveled to his bladder and then to his kidneys.  He caused damage to his kidneys.
When this all began the Dr. asked him if he had ever had an STD. He couldn't remember of any at the time. Looking back I remembered the chlamydia. Could this have caused scar tissue in his urethra? He sits to urinate now and sex is not what it used to be since he can't get an erection. He has kidney infections often now and they are very painful. I also want to know if the toxins in his system can cause mental disorder as he does and says things he never would have done or said before all of this has happened to him. When he feels an infection coming he takes an antibiotic for three maybe four days and stops out  of fear that his body will get immune to it and it won't work for the next infection! Hes had two opinions and both say the same thing, surgery! If he doesn't have it they say he won't be able to urinate one day and it could kill him. What will happen to his kidneys? I need to know the facts! Please be nothing but completely honest with me.
First can I get chlamydia from any other  way other than sex?
second, can chlamydia cause scar tissue to develope in his urethra?
Third, Can the toxins in his system affect his mental state of mind?
Thank you so much for your time in answering my questions.
sincerley,
Lani
Hi Lani -

Wow - what a path you all have been on.

No, you can't get chlamydia any other way than sex, and I'm sorry to say that he wouldn't have had it for 14 years (before marriage to year 15 when you all were diagnosed).  You both would have had symptoms long long before that.  The longest I've seen is 2 years, and Dr. Hook, one of our doctors in our expert forum, says 4, I think.

Chlamydia might have caused the scar tissue, but kidney stones sure could, too.  I think his decision to not get that procedure done was a mistake in judgment, but there isn't too much you can do now, right?   He is also making big mistakes in not finishing the antibiotics, and his doctor should be made aware of that.  His doctor might need to change his treatment plan.

The toxins might affect his mental state - I'm not entirely sure about that, but his doctor also needs to know that.   I'm sure you want to help him, and I don't know if your husband has signed a release to allow your doctor to talk with you, but his doctor can just listen as you let him know what is going on.

I don't know what he is doing and saying that he didn't do before, but even if his mental state is being affected by toxins, I hope you know that you don't have to tolerate any abuse from him.  Abuse is abuse whether its being caused by a physical, emotional or mental health problem.  Please call 1-800-799-SAFE or go to http://www.ndvh.org/   I mean no offense or insults, and don't know what he is doing, but I wanted to say that just in case.  Your safety is your number one thing here.

Aj

Thank you so much for writing me regarding my situation. I will go to the web-site and call as you have answered a lot more than you know. He left me for another woman and won't speak to me. He filed for a divorce and California is a no fault state. I will go get the help I need for the mental abuse I have undergone and continue to go through do to all of the lies he continues to spread!  I thank you from the bottom of my heart!!
Lanette
I'm so sorry for all you have gone through, and wish you the best of luck as you go forward.  Let me know if you have any other questions.

Aj