Chlamydia Community
Positive for Chlamydia

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Chlamydia issues such as: Causes, Chlamydia in Women, Exams and Tests, Medications, Prevention, Research, Risks, Support, Surgery, Symptoms, Treatments, What to ask your doctor.

Positive for Chlamydia

Recently both my husband and I got tested for STD's and both of us came back positive with chlamydia.  I have not been with anyone else other then my husband.  My husband has had previous relationships but according to him the last one was 8 years ago and we have been together for about 7 years (since 2004).  He has never before been tested for any STD's until recently.  I was tested in July 2009 for chlamydia because I had symptoms of a yeast infection.  My tests for chlamydia and the yeast infection came back negative.  When I went to a gynecologist a month later because I couldn't take the discomfort and non of the drug store yeast infection medications were helping, I was positive for a yeast infection.  I did get frequent yeast and bladder infections and now that I am reading up I may have had chlamydia all along and my symptoms were never linked to the STD.  My question is, is it possible to have had chlamydia for 7 years and not have severe complications (I got pregnant right away in 2008 when we started trying for a baby, but my son was born at 4 lbs 11 oz even though he was full term and the doc said my placenta and umbilical cord were very small and thin causing a lack of nutrients getting to the baby).  Could this be the result of me having undiagnosed chlamydia (also when I first found out I was pregnant and did a urine test, the doc told me I had a bladder infection).  Could the test I took in July 2009 have missed the chlamydia infection?
No you would not have chlamydia for 7 years. When pregnant they test for STD's and unlikely to be missed. Since both are positive for chlamydia this is going to be a more recent infection. Probably within the past year.
Thank you for replying to my question.  After I found out that I had chlamydia I had a talk with my husband and I have been faithful and I believe that he has been as well.  At this point we understand the situation and what complications it can have on our health so I don't see any reason to lie to eachother.  My next question is what is the likelihood of contracting chlamydia by other means, other then vaginal, oral or anal sex?  Could you get it from using sex toys?  Can you get it by using the same towel as an infected person?  Can you get it from saunas by sitting on a chair after an infected person sits on it (since the bacteria lives in moist wet places, and since you sweat in a sauna could it be transferred that way)? I am just trying to figure out all the possibilities.  Also, is there ongoing research being done on chlamydia and how it can be contracted?  
You can get it from using a sex toy right after and I mean seconds after someone who is infected with chlamydia used it. Other then that sex is the only way chlamydia is passed.

Science has established that chlamydia while being a bacteria is only passed via sex. I mean if you point a gun at me and said is this or that possible in terms of non-sexual means of transmission...well anything in theroy is possible but in reality it is not going to be transmitted without sex.

Someone must have stepped outside of the relationship. Why would you or him lie...think it is clear to save the marriage from possible divorce.

Only suggestion I have is if you and him have not medicated then to retest.
Also why would someone married for 7 years test for STD's?
Again, thank you for replying to my question.  Yes I guess you are right about the reality of transmitting chlamydia.  The reason I got checked was because of cramps I was having in my abdomin (abdomen).  He got checked right after I found out I had it.  We've both been treated since and re-tested and are free and clear of chlamydia.  This is a though situation since I know I didn't cheat and I really have no other proof of him cheating other then this chlamydia ordeal.  Just wondering if you have ever come across anyone that confirmed that they got chlamydia from non-sexual contact?  That will be my last question on this post, thank you again.
No, I have never seen anyone, read anything or heard anything from non sexual means. I am not going to point the finger and say husband cheated because that is not my place, but it is not transmitted through non-sexual means.
Hello i am in the same situation both faithfull Ive heard that you can have it for 7 years and not knowing do maybe it was his past relationship or yours im in the same boat as you confused cause i trust my husband too
They do check for all stds while pregnant. The doctor would have let you know if you had it during that time considering the side effects it can have on your baby. It can also cause I fertility and ectopic pregnancies if not taken care of in a timely fashion. This STD is contracted only through sexual contact. Maybe now is the time to seek marriage counseling because this is a big deal and proof that someone has stepped outside of the marriage. Sorry this has happened to you and I hope all things work out. Good luck and God bless!