CHLAMYDIA
COMMUNITY
Possible Alternative ways to Contract Chlamydia
by nigumo, Aug 19, 2008
I have a series of questions really. As I understand it, Chlamydia is contracted sexually; whether it be vaginal, anal and even oral. Thus it is not an 'airborne' virus.
1) Does this mean it is spread through fluids or does it have to be DIRECT skin to skin contact?
2) If it lives in the membrane tissue in the vagina and the penis can be spread through fluid contact? Example: Urinating on an open membrane (vagina, rectum or oral)
3) Does there have to be penetration from the infected person in order to pass it?
4) What is the lifespan of this virus outside an infected body?
5) Is it even remotely possible (however rare) that a male can contract it by having the tip of their penis come in contact with fluid from an infected person?

Whenever I research the STD Chlamydia the information is so 'general' and looks like it's been copied and pasted from site to site. I sometimes wonder exactly how researched some of the data is. For instance, it is generalized that a mother-to-be can infect their child during birth. True. But that is if the birth is vaginal or natural correct? There is such a thing as a C-sect. Is the child still exposed to the virus then or is it not at risk?
Any feedback would be appreciated. Feel free to forward to respective associates.
Member Comments (37)
by auntiejessiBlank, Aug 19, 2008
Hi there -

Its in fluids.  This is why condoms prevent the spread of it.

I don't know, and I seriously doubt this has ever been studied.

No, but it helps.  If your genitals were close to someone else's genitals, it would still have to get into your urethra to infect you.  It would probably be easier for a woman to get it this way than a man.

It dies when it dries.

Yes.

You seem to have a lot of "what if" questions, so I will just say what I always say - if in doubt, test.  Use condoms from start to finish - put them on before any physical contact is made.  Talk to any partners about testing histories.

Aj
by nigumo, Aug 19, 2008
A simplistic, yet complex delemma. My spouse and I were tested positive for chlamydia. As working parents, we've had sex only 4 times in the past 7 months. We are monogamous. So how is this possible? I am showing no symptoms, but that is not rare in males. She had a yeast infection and some spotting. Of course the instant reaction is to point and blame. The complication, we have 2 kids and neither of them have symptoms (they were born through C-sect) and she was tested at the beginning of this year (pap test) and was negative. So this STD only came about within the past 6 months. Yes, is obviously possible that one of us was unfaithful and has had an affair. But with religious beliefs and just mere time constraints alone... this is HIGHLY doubtful. So, this leaves me to explore other possible means of contracting chlamydia. One that is not a simple 'cut and paste' response from a website. I spoke to a physician and they are quick to say it can only be spread through sexual contact. Yet, the bacteria is in urine because that's one method of testing for it. So how can one NOT suggest that it IS possible (however unlikely) to contract it from something as simple as sitting on a toilet and having your genetalia come in contact with fluids? I think sometimes people forget to think outside the box. They take what they see at face value and whatever is posted on "WebMD" has got to be concrete. Yet, there are so many possibilities I can think of to contract it. Yes, I am stressed because my relationship is on the line here. ANY logical response would be appreciated. I think I will seriously have to take this topic up to some medical experts.
by auntiejessiBlank, Aug 20, 2008
You don't get anything from toilet seats, except sometimes the heebie jeebies.  

If you both had positive tests, they aren't false positives.  Someone had to cheat here.  I wonder about your questions in your first post - about penetration, etc.  Were you with someone who you rubbed with but didn't penetrate fully or something?

I'm not accusing - I'm just wondering.

I don't think this is about blindly accepting what webmd says, but just facts.  Over the years, a lot of research goes into how things are transmitted, and we know that chlamydia is only spread via sexual contact.  If you check the CDC and the American Social Health Association (ASHA), you will see the same thing.  (The CDC and ASHA are the two most respected organizations for STD info.)

AJ
by nigumo, Aug 20, 2008
No offense taken. No I haven't had ANY sexual contact whatsoever with anyone other than my wife. I would like to say in good faith, that the same applies to her. I brought up the toilet concept because I was wondering if it is transmitted through fluids. You stated before the lifespan is supposedly "when it dries, it dies". Which seems totally logical to me. Hence some of the ways it can be tested for is through urine test and swab on the membrane tissue (which is where it lives). Correct? Well, if the tip of a males penis rests in droplets of urine (from an infected person) is it even remotely possible that one can contract it? The same would go for if someone urinated on a rectum or orally (these are hypothetical examples), right? This is fluid-to-membrane contact. I just want to explore EVERY possibility before I jump to an assumption or conclusion about my wife's fidelity.
Again, thanks for all your feedback. It is GREATLY appreciated. I'm just making sure I keep an open mind, especially with things that are not fully explored (as you said before, you doubt it's been studied).
by auntiejessiBlank, Aug 21, 2008
Well, I don't know.  In theory, I'd say yes, but we just don't know.

However, you are saying that you have not had any other contact with anyone other than your wife.  Has your penis been sitting in someone else's urine?

I appreciate you not wanting to doubt your wife, but I have to say, if my man came to me and suggested that maybe we got chlamydia by someone else's urine, I'd be highly doubting that story.  If I hadn't been unfaithful, I'd be wondering what he was trying to hide with that kind of story.

Aj
by Dallasfan, Aug 21, 2008
I am sorry that you have having so much worry over this issue. Your question about alternate ways of transmission was answered by AJ. And yes viability of Chlamydia has been studied as far as transmission is voided urine or fomite contact. Chlamydia is not viable in urine specimens even minutes after collection. The urine tests we do use the MOMP antigen found on the Chlamydia membrane in the NAAT test. This does not require living Chlamydia to test. Cultures from penile and cervical specimens requires immediate special handling because the Chlamydia bacteria is so fragile. I hope you can work out your confict, but Chlamydia is and remains a sexually transmitted disease and is not transmitted by any fomites. Take care.
by nigumo, Aug 21, 2008
Thank you VERY much. That answer will do to ease my mind. Although it's not something that is dealt with as simple as I might make it sound, I just wanted to confirm the origin of this situation. I can deal with forgiveness issues and the such. I couldn't stand the suspicion and the doubt that it could be me. I just wanted to confirm that I wasn't the cause of it. You see, there was a time when my stomach was ill and I ran to a porta-pot at my job and just sat down in a hurry to do my do. It was only after I was done and got up did I realize that I didn't clean the seat or the rim and my penis was touching the remnants of urine and whatever was sitting on the edge of the toilet rim. Hence, I was concerned it was I who got infected first and brought this whole situation about. I figured the tip of my penis was sitting in fluids that got me infected. Not the answer my wife would believe, because she still thinks I committed adultry. But now I know that this is not the case... So there is only ONE origin of this scenario...
Thank you all again for assisting me... now for the hard part... a long talk.
by arhbll, Jun 28, 2010
My doctors have recently decided that they think I may have chlamydia, i have never cheated on my partner swears that he hasn't either. Is there anyway i coukd have gottent this from birth and it has stayed dormit in my body. this isssue my very well tear my relationship apart, I don't even know if I have it or not yet, but some einformation and advice will help me go back to the doctors a little less uneasy.

PLEASE HELP?!
by Vance2335Blank, Jun 28, 2010
No you would not have it from birth.
To confirm if you have it both people should be tested. Can't be diagnosed any other way.