Chlamydia Community
Possible Alternative ways to Contract Chlamydia

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Chlamydia issues such as: Causes, Chlamydia in Women, Exams and Tests, Medications, Prevention, Research, Risks, Support, Surgery, Symptoms, Treatments, What to ask your doctor.

I have a series of questions really. As I understand it, Chlamydia is contracted sexually; whether it be vaginal, anal and even oral. Thus it is not an 'airborne' virus.
1) Does this mean it is spread through fluids or does it have to be DIRECT skin to skin contact?
2) If it lives in the membrane tissue in the vagina and the penis can be spread through fluid contact? Example: Urinating on an open membrane (vagina, rectum or oral)
3) Does there have to be penetration from the infected person in order to pass it?
4) What is the lifespan of this virus outside an infected body?
5) Is it even remotely possible (however rare) that a male can contract it by having the tip of their penis come in contact with fluid from an infected person?

Whenever I research the STD Chlamydia the information is so 'general' and looks like it's been copied and pasted from site to site. I sometimes wonder exactly how researched some of the data is. For instance, it is generalized that a mother-to-be can infect their child during birth. True. But that is if the birth is vaginal or natural correct? There is such a thing as a C-sect. Is the child still exposed to the virus then or is it not at risk?
Any feedback would be appreciated. Feel free to forward to respective associates.
Hi there -

Its in fluids.  This is why condoms prevent the spread of it.

I don't know, and I seriously doubt this has ever been studied.

No, but it helps.  If your genitals were close to someone else's genitals, it would still have to get into your urethra to infect you.  It would probably be easier for a woman to get it this way than a man.

It dies when it dries.

Yes.

You seem to have a lot of "what if" questions, so I will just say what I always say - if in doubt, test.  Use condoms from start to finish - put them on before any physical contact is made.  Talk to any partners about testing histories.

Aj
A simplistic, yet complex delemma. My spouse and I were tested positive for chlamydia. As working parents, we've had sex only 4 times in the past 7 months. We are monogamous. So how is this possible? I am showing no symptoms, but that is not rare in males. She had a yeast infection and some spotting. Of course the instant reaction is to point and blame. The complication, we have 2 kids and neither of them have symptoms (they were born through C-sect) and she was tested at the beginning of this year (pap test) and was negative. So this STD only came about within the past 6 months. Yes, is obviously possible that one of us was unfaithful and has had an affair. But with religious beliefs and just mere time constraints alone... this is HIGHLY doubtful. So, this leaves me to explore other possible means of contracting chlamydia. One that is not a simple 'cut and paste' response from a website. I spoke to a physician and they are quick to say it can only be spread through sexual contact. Yet, the bacteria is in urine because that's one method of testing for it. So how can one NOT suggest that it IS possible (however unlikely) to contract it from something as simple as sitting on a toilet and having your genetalia come in contact with fluids? I think sometimes people forget to think outside the box. They take what they see at face value and whatever is posted on "WebMD" has got to be concrete. Yet, there are so many possibilities I can think of to contract it. Yes, I am stressed because my relationship is on the line here. ANY logical response would be appreciated. I think I will seriously have to take this topic up to some medical experts.
You don't get anything from toilet seats, except sometimes the heebie jeebies.  

If you both had positive tests, they aren't false positives.  Someone had to cheat here.  I wonder about your questions in your first post - about penetration, etc.  Were you with someone who you rubbed with but didn't penetrate fully or something?

I'm not accusing - I'm just wondering.

I don't think this is about blindly accepting what webmd says, but just facts.  Over the years, a lot of research goes into how things are transmitted, and we know that chlamydia is only spread via sexual contact.  If you check the CDC and the American Social Health Association (ASHA), you will see the same thing.  (The CDC and ASHA are the two most respected organizations for STD info.)

AJ
No offense taken. No I haven't had ANY sexual contact whatsoever with anyone other than my wife. I would like to say in good faith, that the same applies to her. I brought up the toilet concept because I was wondering if it is transmitted through fluids. You stated before the lifespan is supposedly "when it dries, it dies". Which seems totally logical to me. Hence some of the ways it can be tested for is through urine test and swab on the membrane tissue (which is where it lives). Correct? Well, if the tip of a males penis rests in droplets of urine (from an infected person) is it even remotely possible that one can contract it? The same would go for if someone urinated on a rectum or orally (these are hypothetical examples), right? This is fluid-to-membrane contact. I just want to explore EVERY possibility before I jump to an assumption or conclusion about my wife's fidelity.
Again, thanks for all your feedback. It is GREATLY appreciated. I'm just making sure I keep an open mind, especially with things that are not fully explored (as you said before, you doubt it's been studied).
Well, I don't know.  In theory, I'd say yes, but we just don't know.

However, you are saying that you have not had any other contact with anyone other than your wife.  Has your penis been sitting in someone else's urine?

I appreciate you not wanting to doubt your wife, but I have to say, if my man came to me and suggested that maybe we got chlamydia by someone else's urine, I'd be highly doubting that story.  If I hadn't been unfaithful, I'd be wondering what he was trying to hide with that kind of story.

Aj
I am sorry that you have having so much worry over this issue. Your question about alternate ways of transmission was answered by AJ. And yes viability of Chlamydia has been studied as far as transmission is voided urine or fomite contact. Chlamydia is not viable in urine specimens even minutes after collection. The urine tests we do use the MOMP antigen found on the Chlamydia membrane in the NAAT test. This does not require living Chlamydia to test. Cultures from penile and cervical specimens requires immediate special handling because the Chlamydia bacteria is so fragile. I hope you can work out your confict, but Chlamydia is and remains a sexually transmitted disease and is not transmitted by any fomites. Take care.
Thank you VERY much. That answer will do to ease my mind. Although it's not something that is dealt with as simple as I might make it sound, I just wanted to confirm the origin of this situation. I can deal with forgiveness issues and the such. I couldn't stand the suspicion and the doubt that it could be me. I just wanted to confirm that I wasn't the cause of it. You see, there was a time when my stomach was ill and I ran to a porta-pot at my job and just sat down in a hurry to do my do. It was only after I was done and got up did I realize that I didn't clean the seat or the rim and my penis was touching the remnants of urine and whatever was sitting on the edge of the toilet rim. Hence, I was concerned it was I who got infected first and brought this whole situation about. I figured the tip of my penis was sitting in fluids that got me infected. Not the answer my wife would believe, because she still thinks I committed adultry. But now I know that this is not the case... So there is only ONE origin of this scenario...
Thank you all again for assisting me... now for the hard part... a long talk.
My doctors have recently decided that they think I may have chlamydia, i have never cheated on my partner swears that he hasn't either. Is there anyway i coukd have gottent this from birth and it has stayed dormit in my body. this isssue my very well tear my relationship apart, I don't even know if I have it or not yet, but some einformation and advice will help me go back to the doctors a little less uneasy.

PLEASE HELP?!
No you would not have it from birth.
To confirm if you have it both people should be tested. Can't be diagnosed any other way.
yea he def cheaten on you he had to having gotten it through penertration or less likely oral or if he happen to randomly touch somones infected eye from the clap and rubbed the **** outta his eye but that's as slim as a slim jim and catching hiv from skully
A statement can not be made that he cheated on you.
yea sorry about that bold statement but the clap doesn't work like that and if u had it that long u would be permanitely ****** with PID i would sit down and have a chat also i disagree you can easily dignoise it yourself when u pee you literally can see the bacteria in the urine it will be cloudy with whitish dots trust me on this i am a expert seeing i have had it 6 times
You can not diagnosis it yourself because other STD's like gonorrhea and NGU has same symptoms also so does a UTI. And if you get chlamydia it does not have to turn into PID.

A lot of statements you are making are not full of fact, but 1/2 fact and 1/2 personal opinion. If you want to help others I say thank you but when you make statements make sure they are medical fact not your opinion unless you clearly state this is my opinion.
Some of the websites I read said it can be spread from casual contact and bad hygiene. Why is that? For instance:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trachoma

[quote]Causes

Trachoma is caused by Chlamydia trachomatis and it is spread by direct contact with eye, nose, and throat secretions from affected individuals, or contact with fomites (inanimate objects), such as towels and/or washcloths, that have had similar contact with these secretions. Flies can also be a route of mechanical transmission. Untreated, repeated trachoma infections result in entropion—a painful form of permanent blindness when the eyelids turn inward, causing the eyelashes to scratch the cornea. Children are the most susceptible to infection due to their tendency to easily get dirty, but the blinding effects or more severe symptoms are often not felt until adulthood.
Blinding endemic trachoma occurs in areas with poor personal and family hygiene. Many factors are indirectly linked to the presence of trachoma including lack of water, absence of latrines or toilets, poverty in general, flies, close proximity to cattle, crowding and so forth.[2][3] However, the final common pathway seems to be the presence of dirty faces in children that facilitates the frequent exchange of infected ocular discharge from one child’s face to another. Most transmission of trachoma occurs within the family.[2][/quote]

http://www.medhelp.org/medical-information/show/3128/Trachoma

[quote]Causes, incidence, and risk factors

Trachoma is caused by infection with the bacteria Chlamydia trachomatis. Symptoms being 5 to 12 days after being exposed to the bacteria. The condition begins slowly as conjunctivitis (irritation near the eye, "pink eye"), which if untreated may lead to scarring.

If the eyelids are severely irritated, the eyelashes may turn in and rub against the cornea. This can cause eye ulcers, further scarring, vision loss, and even blindness.

Trachoma occurs worldwide, primarily in rural settings in developing countries. It frequently affects children, although the consequences of scarring may not be seen until later in life. While trachoma is rare in the United States, certain populations marked by poverty, crowded living conditions, or poor hygiene are at higher risk for this illness.

Trachoma is spread through direct contact with infected eye, nose, or throat secretions or by contact with contaminated objects, such as towels or clothes. In addition, certain flies can spread the bacteria.[/quote]

Can anyone explain this discrepancy?
you are right vance but it is true you can see the bacteria in your own pee my own true fact because everytime i had it that's how i noticed go to the doc and guess what i have it think about it these docs sit in a class and read and learned from a text book i am living proof and so is others who have experienced the same thing only diffrence is i did my own studies and you are right it could be another bacterial std but i'm just saying you can figure out what is wrong without medical help to a certain degree but yes these people are highly trained and those facts are facts i would like to argue that beacterial stds are rarely transfered through oral because they are chances are still really high if i am a vergine who never had sex but loves his oral and had it six times from oral only and only 1 encounter with each lady, unless i just have extremly ****** luck
My roommate is claiming she got chlamidya from sitting in my home. can this be true. i thought it was only through sex that it can eb contracted. im worried because i have two small children that use the same toilet as her. i need some answers. do i take my children to get tested?
alright i have a question. my bf went to a strip club and caught chlamydia from a stripper and gave to me while i was 9 months pregnant. yea i kno tell me bout it. i asked him what did he do at the strip club to attract it and he said all he did was peck kiss the girl a few times and sucked on her nipples. and ive heard that if yu are lactating then thats when yu kan transmit it but i doiubt she was preggo he even said he doesnt think she was. he claims that he didnt have any sex or oral sex with her. so is this true ?? can yu attract it from sucking her nipples or peck kisses??
I have a dilemma as well.  Recently both my husband and I got tested for STD's and both of us came back positive with chlamydia.  I have not been with anyone else other then my husband.  My husband has had previous relationships but according to him the last one was 8 years ago and we have been together for about 7 years (since 2004).  He has never before been tested for any STD's until recently.  I was tested in July 2009 for chlamydia because I had symptoms of a yeast infection.  My tests for chlamydia and the yeast infection came back negative.  When I went to a gynecologist a month later because I couldn't take the discomfort and non of the drug store yeast infection medications were helping, I was positive for a yeast infection.  I did get frequent yeast and bladder infections and now that I am reading up I may have had chlamydia all along and my symptoms were never linked to the STD.  My question is, is it possible to have had chlamydia for 7 years and not have severe complications (I got pregnant right away in 2008 when we started trying for a baby, but my son was born at 4 lbs 11 oz even though he was full term and the doc said my placenta and umbilical cord were very small and thin causing a lack of nutrients getting to the baby).  Could this be the result of me having undiagnosed chlamydia (also when I first found out I was pregnant and did a urine test, the doc told me I had a bladder infection).  Could the test I took in July 2009 have missed the chlamydia infection?
just to add to my previous comment...the test I took in July 2009 was a swab test (I've read up the swab tests are more accurate in detecting chlamydia then urine tests for females)
"Sexual contact" is very broad and leaves me with the same exact questions as the user Nigumo (individual who asked the original question.)  I would love to have his specific questions answered.
How common is it to have a false negative chlamydia test ? And is it possible to have it for three years. I have been on doxycycline hyclate for the passed year. . Could this be why I don't have any serious symptoms ? I ask because the last pap smear I had was when I was pregnant. Is there any possible way there was a false negative. And if so should I worry for my baby who is now two. Please no hate messages .
I was recently informed that I had gonorrhea.  I have been completely faithful in my relationship and my partner claims the same. I was tested 1 month before him and I became sexually active with eachother and was negative for any std's at that time, so when I came back positive for gonorrhea last week of course I pointed the finger and had him get tested as well.. surprisingly,  he came back negitive. My question is: if him and I have been having unprotected sex for 2 months and I had it, wouldn't he have contracted it seeing how gonorrhea is very easily contracted? Next question is; I am a dancer at a strip club.. is it AT ALL POSSIBLE that I could have caught this std at work? Someone with some medical knowledge or experience PLEASE help!
Start your own thread and ask your question in the STD forum please.
Dear All,
I have a similar issue as Ivy401.
9 years of monogamous marriage, all is fine and dandy then last December I get severe discharge, went to my OBGYN and got the horror news: I had chlamydia. I'm positive it didn't come from me, so I confronted my husband he swears he didn't have any contact with anyone... so where the hell did we both get it from? We were always unprotected in our marriage and I never had any doubts about him either... I should add that along with chlamydia I also had an yeast infection and some other vaginal bacteria...
SO WHERE DID IT ALL COME FROM?????
We are on the edge of divorce because I can't stop drilling on it, because I know I haven't been anywhere else...
Someone please help me!
Desperate
Its a 5% chance of a man getting it from his penis touching a toilet bowl by accident but its evidently still a chance. My husband has IBS and uses public restroom ALOT.My husband and i have never been with anyone but each other. He has never cheated(believe me i know where my man is 24/7 and trust him 100%. He would never cheat and neither would i. We have been having sex with each other for a lil over 10 yrs. We have a 4 yr old and a 2 month old both delivered by c-sec. He has had two prostate infections in the last 4 yrs. They tested him for it 2 weeks ago because it is one of the main causes of prostate infections. It came back positive. He freaked out and wasnt accusing me but asked me if id been with anyone before we were together. I said no and he appologized to me. He had his small doubt for a min. I never had any doubts  with him. We were freaked out knowing that we were both inocent. I went to the local health department and got tested a week ago and it came back positive. I was freaked out. Doc said that we couldnt have had it for that long because it would have caused problems with us trying to get pregnant. We are still trying to figure out all the freak possibilities of how one of us caught it unless it really was a faulty test. We both got treated anyway so dont have to worry about it. We definatly will start being more careful when we are at public places
I am wondering about the same question.  I gave Chlamydia to my wife.  She was showing and cleaning herself off while my baby girl is bubble bath at the same time with her.  Now my baby girl who is 4 years old is complaining about back pain, joint in the knee and ankle pain.  She cries some night that it is so much in pain.  We notice that her underwear is stained with white-yellow to greenish fluid.  We took to her to the doctor, but they are questioning us a lot.  We are so afraid of asking the doctors that they might think that we done something to her.  Oh Lord, our loving child  and we would not have done anything to her.  Last test for urine for UTI, negative.  Our baby girl has the same symptom we have such as back pain, joint pain and belly pain when we have contracted the Chlamydia.  Please help.  Is she got from her mother while they were showing and bathing together, i meant without cloth on?
Also, when she was infected, the test always come back negative and so Mine.  I do not really trust the test result.  The lady I slept with is positive for Chlamydia.  I noticed my when I saw the clusters like cheese present on my penis and burning like hell.   I treated but it never go away easily.  2 weeks later, the pain resumed again.  My prostate hurt like hell.  My wife saw the same thing in her genital, the clusters of white cheese.  I could smell the oder from her.  She went back to check test it out,  the test come back negative and so mine.   what is going on?  We slept again, the infection is just going back and forth.  I am now worry about our baby girl.  We do not know what to ask to the doctor to test on her?
This thread is very old and it's getting difficult to keep track of all of the individual conversations, so we'll close it now.

To post a new question or start a discussion, please click the "Post a Question" button at the top of this page.  Thanks!

Claire

________________________________________________

** CLOSED DISCUSSION**
            NO MORE COMMENTS PLEASE
I have the exact situation.... has your problem been resolved? I too work in a strip club and contracted chlymadia... can you tell me anything because its stressful
In the last 3 months I have been engaging in sex with a new partner and am positive for Chlamydia. I'm currently taking antibiotics to treat and so is he. I'm terrified of after effects from contracting this... What are my odds of becoming infertile etc... I am terrified!
I came out positive with chlamydia but I.haven't had any sexual contact with anyone since my husband left for a tournament 4 months ago,he gets tested every month for any STDs so I'm verry confused where could I have catched it from
Start your own thread please
I am in the same situation as the last two people. Married faithful and wife had a miscarriage and they tested her and she had chlamydia. We had a boy a year ago and my understanding is they yet her during pregnancy. She didn't test positive and my son is free and clear. We both have tested positive now and like others am wanting answers. Is there any way that she contracted this from the hospital? She had her first miscarriage after our son was born   This was about 8 months ago. We are thinking that the ultra sound tech who was called in and probably didn't want to be there any way used the probe that they use in US and maybe a nurse was using it before hand and didn't clean it or whatever the case may be. Is it possible that if the probe was used in an infected woman and the shortly after used on my wife and wasn't cleaned. Could it be transferred that way? As far out as it sound I woul believe a scenario suck as that easier then my wife cheated on me. I work she is always with our son. Or maybe I at on a toilet that a man just use and he is infected and the tip if my penis touché the toilet and there was some fluid from him (discharge or urine whatever it be)  couldn't it not be transferred that way? Thanks for taking time to answer.
Hypothetically could it be transferred by using and ultra sound probe in an infected woman and not cleaning it then using it shortly after on my wife? If it didn't dry or was a little damp. Or if I use a toilet and the man before me was infected and the tip of my penis touched some fluid (discharge or urine) could it some crazy way be transmitted that way? I unfaithfulness is out of the question. There has to be an alternative form of transmission. Looks like my wife and I aren't the only ones going through this. Thanks.
I tested positive for Chlamydia last November. I broke the news to my boyfriend and he got tested and his results were negative. I have been monogamous during our entire relationship (breakups included) and my boyfriend is the second person I've had sex with in my life. I had a pap smear a few months before my std test and tested negative that time, although it was a pap smear and I understand that the procedure does not specifically target the Chlamydia virus. I was treated for the sti and weeks after, I had unprotected sex with my boyfriend. I went back to my ob/gyn to check if I had been reinfected and tested negative a few weeks ago for the sti. How on earth is this possible? I've been completely monogamous, and he's only been tested once but he was negative. And I was negative after I had sex with him shortly after I had been treated. This dilemma is tearing our relationship apart because it seems like the only possible way for me contract Chlamydia is if I've been unfaithful. He believes me, but I know he's not too sure. I have no reason to lie to a bunch of strangers on the web, so me covering up my infidelity wouldn't be very smart here. I need answers and fast. Anyone?  
START YOUR OWN THREAD
I wish I could help AJinDistress. I am in a dilemma myself.

I dated my ex for 5 years. Neither of us were unfaithful. I could vouch for her because she is a woman with hermit tendencies. She is an introvert and is HIGHLY suspicious of men. It is not her style to mess around. I am a man, and I would not come here to lie to strangers or make up stories. If anything, this anonymous setting would have served better to speak of something I may have contracted and seeking help from strangers to figure out how to explain a condition to save my hide. This is NOT the case.

Anyway, I know for sure I did not cheat or even came close. We broke up for other reasons AFTER her "first love" came back into her life after a 15 year stint overseas in the military. Prior to that, we did not have sex for over a year because, though we lived close by, we barely saw one another. We just became great "phone friends."

She started a relationship with him immediately after she called it quits with us (I think we all know what happened here) and one of the first things she did was go get fully tested. Everything came back negative and she called to let me know and even showed me the results. I eventually started a relationship with someone overseas and I stayed faithful up to now. This means almost 2 years went by and I had no sex.

My girlfriend overseas went to get tested (a full test) because of some other health complications. Her test results came back negative. My ex girlfriend, during that time, did two more testings (one a follow up and the other for a surgery she was going to have). The only person not to have tested was me except for an HIV test.

When I finally met my girlfriend, we had unprotected sex, working on the idea that my ex had cleans tests and my new girlfriend had a clean test. A week after I came back (after 7 straight days of sex, multiple times per day), I noticed a burning discomfort. I told her about it and we could only conclude a UTI  (despite being rare in men). Finally I made it to the doctor only to be told I had chalmydia. For a minute I wondered about my girlfriend, but you see, ever since I've known her, we live on Tango and Skype and both of out jobs allow us to be on those apps ALL day. We work with the cameras on our phones trained on each other while we talk. We go to sleep with the cameras on and on weekends, we talk from the time we get up until we fall asleep at night. Yes, we are into each other like that and neither of us planned this nor did we know we would be so passionate about each other. In other words, we RARELY are unaware of where each other is at any time of the day. I can put my neck on the line for her and she for me. I was with my ex for 5 years in a rather dry relationship and NEVER cheated. Why would I do it in this exciting relationship?

After I told my new girlfriend the shocking results, she went and got tested - Negative and showing negative well over two months AFTER the incubation period would have occurred. So the obvious questions are to be asked. I am a man in between two women who both tested negative after being with me. How do I end up with this then? Now one caveat: My ex contracted Chlamydia 14 years ago from an ex. She found out about it because she got pregnant for him. When I met her, she had her test results and she was clean then and 5 years after our relationship, she was still clean. The only reason my new relationship is not on the rocks is because my new girlfriend cannot find a moment when she has not been on the phone talking to me or seeing me since we have been dating over the past 10 months. Of course, I should be the one with suspicions, but I never thought of her possibly cheating because I know where she is at all times. I seriously thought all I had was a UTI so where could I have gotten this from? I really empathize with the people who end up with these "phantom" contractions of a STD they know were not contracted through the ONLY way medical professions say it could have been caught.