Chlamydia Community
Possible to have 5 year old Chlamydia infection just show now?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Chlamydia issues such as: Causes, Chlamydia in Women, Exams and Tests, Medications, Prevention, Research, Risks, Support, Surgery, Symptoms, Treatments, What to ask your doctor.

I have tested positive for Chlamydia recently. I am a man and had oral sex performed on me about 5 years ago from a questionable person, but I never got tested. Since then I have had no sexual contact aside from my current girlfriend. She was tested and came back negative for Chlamydia right after we started dating. Probably a week or so after we had sex for the first time, I noticed an itching sensation in my penis and a slight burning while urinating. I talked to her about it and we decided it was probably a UTI. The symptoms went away but sure enough, I tested positive for Chlamydia by a urine test.

My question is: Could I have had Chlamydia for the last 5 years and had it lie dormant and symptom free until I had unprotected intercourse which caused the infection to fluster?

We are both confused as to where this infection came from since I have had limited sexual activity and she was tested before we had our relationship.
Thank you,
You could have had a false positive.  She could have had a false negative at that time.  Or one of you cheated at some point within the last couple of years or so. She needs to be tested as well. If you have not taken the medication yet, you can also retest to be sure you did not get a false positive.

It is not very likely you would get two false results back to back. If she is positive, then this is a more recent infection. The reason is that only 1 case has been heard of where a person had chlamydia for 4 years and did not know it. Any woman who has untreated chlamydia for more than a year and a half would begin to start having the more severe symptoms of PID.  PID affects the reproductive organs and could end up causing her to have problems with getting pregnant.

So the basic answer to your question is that no, it is not likely you had chlamydia for 5 years and are just now getting symptoms.  If symptoms show, they do so within 1-4 weeks after exposure.
Thank you very much for the information. Do you happen to have any source for the 1 case of chlamydia lasting 4 years without symptoms? If you did, I would really appreciate that.

I will take note that it is possible that she had a false negative before meeting me. We were only together for a total of 3 months and we had sex pretty quickly after meeting. It wouldn't be a case of cheating, I don't think. Not that I am particularly worried about that anyway, with such a short relationship. But, she got tested 22 days after having sex with her last partner, and I was under the impression that was enough time for the bacteria to incubate and show up on a test.

I have already taken the antibiotic treatment so I cannot get tested again.

The R.N. she talked to said that it is not possible to get a false negative result.

Thanks for your time,

If she tested too early, she would have gotten a false negative.  But testing is conclusive at 7 days, so she did test at the right time.

I do not know the source of the one case.  I got my information from Vance who is the moderator on this forum and one of the moderators on the std forum.
Ok, thank you very much 2terrified! I trust her, and I know myself that I haven't had a sexual partner other than her in 5 years. This is a terrible feeling. If she was lying though about it, it doesn't seem that she would have pressed the issue so much. There were many much easier routes to take along the way which would have lead to an easy way out for her.

I would rather falsely blame myself than unjustly blame another.

I am so distraught over the whole thing. Do you have any advice if I go in to get a physical to have my doctor test to see if I have any damage done to myself, if I have in fact had Chlamydia untreated for 5 years?

Honestly, at this point I would rather find out I was sterile than lose my faith in people.
Well, when it comes to the ability to have children, it is best to try first, and then if you don't succeed after more than a year, then go for fertility testing.  This is because fertility is costly.  Also, I think the infertility aspect is more on the woman's behalf after she has had damage from PID as a result of untreated chlamydia.

I don't know what to say...  Looking at what you have said so far, it seems to me that she stepped outside of the relationship. That is based on you not having sex with anyone but her in the last 5 years and you saying you have not. But since you would like to move forward from this, maybe you should just do that.  Instead of trying to figure it out you know? Really, there is no way to prove when and where either of you picked up the infection without someone coming out and saying they cheated.  So, just be aware and if it happens again, then you should consider infidelity as a real possibility.
let me first just say it is deffinetly possible to have several back to back negative chlamydia tests when u are really positive,i have had several,also by talking to several and i do mean several gyno drs,a man can carry chlamydia for years and have absolutely no symptoms as was told to me by several gynos..................so its hard to say if one of you guys still carried it into the relationship....................because you could of been still positive wit a negative test................and one round of antibotis depending on what strain it is maynot of taken care of it.................goodluck .................