Chlamydia Community
Recurring chlamydia

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Chlamydia issues such as: Causes, Chlamydia in Women, Exams and Tests, Medications, Prevention, Research, Risks, Support, Surgery, Symptoms, Treatments, What to ask your doctor.

Recurring chlamydia

My partner and I were diagnosed with chlamydia on April 1st. My partner and I were treated with 1000g of azithromycin within 24 hours of each other. I went back to my doctor for a follow up 2 weeks later and tested negative. My partner did not have a follow up, but was treated the same time I was. For the next 2 weeks we have sexual intercourse and my partner tells me he is having symptoms again. Sure enough, I go to the doctor and I am positive again! What are the chances his 1000g of azithromycin did not work and mine did? Would he have to be re infected in order to get chlamydia again? My follow up test was negative...so did his symptoms resolve, as mine did, and then come back and reinfect me? Or did he get reinfected? Thanks
Hi and welcome. Once diagnosed there is  a recommended followup to make sure its gone and your partner is an example of why. People react different and depends on many things like ones immune system.
Yes you could have been reinfected as anti biotics dont prevent they only kill. I would start from zero and talk to your doctor about the next step.
Right I know anti biotics prevent and treat and I know that after one is treated they can be re infected again if someone else has it. But, I was wondering what the chances were of his antibiotic not working as a result of reinfection  verses if he was reinfected through sexual intercourse?
I mean I know they dont* prevent but treat and cure
Im not sure what you mean. antibiotics dont prevent they only kill whats in you. Antibiotics do work and dont stop with reinfections but the dose is all screwed up with the coming and going of the bacteria. These are really unkowns