Chlamydia Community
Symptoms of chlamydia but tests negative

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Chlamydia issues such as: Causes, Chlamydia in Women, Exams and Tests, Medications, Prevention, Research, Risks, Support, Surgery, Symptoms, Treatments, What to ask your doctor.

So here is my situation.  I am 23 years old and have been with one girl for 6 years.  After our break up about 6 months later I started a new relationship with a girl.  It only lasted 3 months or so but she informed me that she had cervical cancer caused by HPV.  She claims she has no other std's and is tested often because of her condition.  We had intercourse a few times and some of them were un protected.

So about a few weeks after the end of our relationship I started to develop mild symptoms of discharge and a burning sensation while urinating.  Every once in a while I would get sharp pains or discomfort similar to a UTI randomly.  It would pass quickly but the burning sensation was always there.  

I never had trouble passing urine or developed any other symptoms.  After about two weeks of this I had urine testing done and they came back negative for gonnarhea and chlamydia.  Also no sign of a UTI.  I was given a single dose of Azithromycin before the results came back assuming I had chlamydia and when results came back negative doctor suggested I may have began clearing the disease on my own by the time test was taken.

Symptoms went away for a full week after the antiobiotics but then came back.  I went in for another test and again results were negative but they said there was some inflamation (inflammation) noticed in my urine sample.  So doctor decided to use the same antibiotics but in a full weeks worth of dosage.  I have been clear of all symptoms for about 3 weeks but recently I have noticed them just starting to come back.  It could be just in my head but I don't want to waste any time to see if they come back completely again.

My question is how likely is it that I have chlamyida?  Could it be something else?  If I haven't tested positive for it in the first place but have symptoms how will I ever know if I'm finally clear of it?  I obviously don't want to spread it to any new relationships and want to know what to do.

if she had hpv then u might have it get a test for it and get the best treatment
The single dose treatment of Azythromycin is effective for treating Chlamydia. Yes this could be another type of infection, such as NGU or Trichomonas. Both are easily treated. Keep in mind that in men Trichomonas can be hard to diagnose. You may want to talk to your doctor further. Take care.
Sounds like a non-chlamydial NGU.  
not really worth testing for EVERY bacteria to see which is the culprit, keep working with your doctor for further treatments.  It might be a bit discouraging not knowing what is causing all this.

http://www.region8ipp.com/Docs/Articles/35538.pdf

Hope this helps.
Best of luck
Thanks for the input.  That makes more sense.  As far as the HPV.... I thought there was no test for men?  

Also I haven't had any consistent symptoms so I think it was just in my head or overreaction but we'll see.
There is no test for men unless you actually have HPV then it can be biopsied and tested.
Nick - I'm in the same boat; 28 years old.  Symptoms as per Chlamydia but no positive test results, for Chlamydia, Gonorrhea, generic bacterial UTI.  Come and go, once a month, last about a week.  HPV a possibility but I didn't think it caused these symptoms.  Feels like the problem could be caused by sitting funny in my office chair, or stress, or something!  Let me know how it goes, please, anyway :)