Chlamydia Community
Zithromax Epic Fail... TWICE?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Chlamydia issues such as: Causes, Chlamydia in Women, Exams and Tests, Medications, Prevention, Research, Risks, Support, Surgery, Symptoms, Treatments, What to ask your doctor.

Zithromax Epic Fail... TWICE?

Ok so... Here's the deal

21 year old male

August... depart my 'hopefully' monogamous 3 month relationship. (several unprotected encounters)

October (Halloween).. 2 different casual partners 1  twice and 1 once....
one that in retrospect does not seem very careful about her choice of partners :|

End of November .... Pain... urethritis... intense burn with a little drop of blood towards the end.

December  days later I'm tested and treated with 1 gm of Azithromycin. test comes back positive chlamydia but nothing else, they say no action needed since I've already been treated.

(NO sex, regular masturbation)

March... Pain after ejaculation... for awhile....
       Again treated with 1 gm Zithromax against my protest and light request for the Doxy..whatever substitute.
      (One concern I have is a uncommonly fast metabolism and a shortened half life of the Zithromax.  I do not know if zithro is stored in fat or not ut I have none and I hit the gym and take hemp protein as a supplement. The reason I know my body does not hold on to things long is the unusually quick amount of time THC leaves my system relative to anyone I know or what the testers expected to see. (2 weeks after daily use a negative lab result with 'funky' creatine lvls.)

(not proud of this part but...)
April... Wanting to believe the 90%+ success statistics the doctor quoted me the second time around I had unprotected sex with a girl for the first time around day 12 after the last day of treatment. (she was adamant that she had no STDS if that means anything)

2 days later (14 post treament) a 'tickle' when I pee....  increased trips to the bathroom.... no pain... and no discharge.

One thing to note.. a partner from before the 3 months relationship may have had HPV I totally forgot about it since I'm told there's no way to test for it and never saw any symptoms, I remembered as I was signing up for this.

My questions are. A are symptoms post treatment common from residual irritation/damage? B. If i do test negative after 3 weeks from treatment would the partner at 12 days post treatment be at risk? C. Does masturbation, THC, pain medication or anti-inflammatory's reduce efficiency of Azithromycin? D. If Zithromax has failed twice will there be a strong resistance to it and other treatments going forward? E. Does HPV have any effect on bacterial infections/urethritis. F. What are the risks of a long term infection of chlamydia?

Oh and What is NGU?
You were adequately treated. You may have been reinfected from your last sexual partner.  The items you mentioned would not decrease azythromycin`s effectiveness. HPV should not cause a urethritis. If you keep getting reinfected then your risks remain high. Please always use a condom. They are effective. You may need retreatment.
I think you missed the part where I was treated, had no sexual encounters and still tested positive/had symptoms.  They Repeated the same treatment.. which I fear didn't work.. my questions is why did my treatment fail once and was it wise to attempt the same treatment that failed as a second attack?  also if I test positive again what happens then? A 3rd round of the ineffective azithromycin? And if I was successfully treated the second time is the girl at risk at day 12 or whatever
My answer is still the same. If you retest too early, the tests (which are quite sensitive) may detect dead Chlamydia antigen for weeks after treatment.I would wait 4 to 5 weeks minimum for test of cure. Take care.
Dallasfan is very knowledgable with this and many other topics.

Unless you were on a prescribed medication your failure with the zithro could have been from a resistance from the body. They gave you the second time around zithro and Doxy which should have cured chlamydia

My question is besides symptoms the second time around were you actually tested for it the second time.

Also, after getting one std you should have learned your lesson, we all know it feels good w/o one but what are you will to risk? wear a condom for your protection and other.
Oh sorry one more thing.. if your test happens to come up positive be sure to tell the girl you slept with... Chlamydia can cause serious problem for women. I hope you told the other two partners you had relations with

Chlamydia is a silent STD and even though you showed symptoms in November you could have gotten it before your October partners.
People don`t develope resistence to antibiotics, the bacteria do. Chlamydia still has a universal sensitivity to the macrolide antibiotics of which azythromycin is one.Hope this helps.
Thanks for the correction... I know how to word that now, Had it backwords :)