Chlamydia Community
azithromycin 5 day treatment for chlamydia

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Chlamydia issues such as: Causes, Chlamydia in Women, Exams and Tests, Medications, Prevention, Research, Risks, Support, Surgery, Symptoms, Treatments, What to ask your doctor.

I'm just wondering if azithromycin 5 day would cure chlamydia. The azithromycin pack comes with 6 pills, being 250mg each. It said to take 2 pills (250mg+250mg=500mg) for the first dose and then 1 pill (250mg) everyday as follows until done totaling to be 1500mg. Will this cure chlamydia because I always read about the single dose. Any help will be great. Thanks
The CDC recommended dosing of azithromycin for Chlamydia is 1000 mg taken as a one time dose.
I see. So the azithromycin 5 day is pretty much pointless even though its 1500mg total throughout the 5 days. Thank you for you response.
(I see your from California, See Bill SB 648)

Unless your partner tested positive for Chlamydia, you should be getting antiobiotics directly from a doctor to perscribe what you need, and how to take it.  The 5 day zithro is there for a reason (so its not "pretty much pointless"), the net result is you take a higher amount (higher than the 1g single doze) at the end of treatment, and other reasons, like if your stomach is sensitive to high dozes.  

Furthermore, if you don't get better your doctor can/will perscribe follow up treatment and you can avoid Chlamydia developing resitance to the durg (s) --a problem arising and concernig these diseases.