Chlamydia Community
chlamydia

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Chlamydia issues such as: Causes, Chlamydia in Women, Exams and Tests, Medications, Prevention, Research, Risks, Support, Surgery, Symptoms, Treatments, What to ask your doctor.

chlamydia

Can you have chlamydia for 18 years and not know you have it? or would symptons have shown up. I had been married for 18 years when I was diagnosed with it, and I know I have not had any other partner other than my husband and I trust him. But something I read the other day made me rethink the whole situation. I know I had it before I met my husband and I had antibiotics so I thought it had gone.  Also over the years I have had many problems with that area, Infertility being one of them, I had lots of tests and chlamydia never came up. I am now thinking alsorts.
There is no way you could have chlamydia for 18 years without knowing it, and you were testing negative.

Chlamydia can cause all sorts of problems if its not treated, but you would have been very very sick within a year or so, give or take, if it was untreated.

If you've had chlamydia tests done before (and since your infection so many years ago), then this is a new infection for you.  What made you test if you trusted your husband?

Sorry - that has to suck.

AJ
I had a test initially done for yeast infections as they wouldnt go away, when I went back to the doctors this is what had come up when doing the tests.  Maybe he had an idea of the problem and didnt say anything till he had checked it out, I dont know.  The only reason it made me think about this again, was seeing a programme on the tv the other day that suggested what you said in your reply and it made me question my run in with it.
Thankyou for your reply, I now have to sort some things out.

Caz
Good luck to you.  :(
Just my two cents - since I just went through this myself.  There are a few strains of chlamydia that can be passed by inhalation.  This can cause the STD to form.  I was a wreck until our specialist explained this very important detail.

Of course, this isn't as common, but it is possible.  It's a shame that relationships can be ruined because this isn't explained to people better.
This isn't true.

There are different forms of chlamydia bacteria, and there is one that can be spread the way you describe.  That would cause pneumonia, though, not a genital infection.

The std test would identify ONLY the type that causes a genital infection, chlamydia trachomatis.  If you had a chlamydia blood test, it doesn't specify which chlamydia bacteria you've had, and it might be the chlamydia pneumoniae bacteria.  Blood tests for chlamydia shouldn't be done as part of an std screening.
ive gotten cured and still have a discharge hopefully it things will get back to how they were if the medicine ever really kicks in..but i have a question..if i have gotten cured ans still have an discharge does that mean i still have it?..i had 2pds in one month after taking the med what does that mean?...im also trying to conceive but im afraid i cannot have children.is this possibe?someone answer my question please.
Tuesday i am going to get tested and i am terified cause i dont want it to come back positive.. i just had a pap smear done and it was normal and i dont know why i didnt think about getting it done that same day . i chicken out but i just want to make sure i am ok. what are the symptoms do you get any symptoms? Please help!!!
If you have questions start your own thread and they will be answered. We do not answer other people's questions on someone else thread.
Hi recently had tripple swab taken as going to have coil fitted.
Test result was positive for Chlamydia. In total shock as my only partner is my husband and have been together 15 years.(he only had 2 partners prior to meeting me). And trust each other 100%. We have 3 children together all conceived within 2 months of trying. My husband is awaiting results. Is it possible to have had this 15 years and not known? plus will my children have contracted it from me? they all normal weight and healthy
Many thanks

Sophie
Start a thread dedicated just to your question and it will be answered.
Have a Chlamydia question?
100,000+ doctor answers