Aa
A
A
Close
cipro for chlamydia?
I was tested positive for chlamydia, my doctor gave cipro. I read somewhere that cipro is effective for gonnorhea, not for chlamydia.

Am i taking wrong medicine?

thanks for reply.

Cancel
6 Answers
Page 1 of 1
736575 tn?1288906158
The two preferred medications for chlamydia are azithromycin and doxycycline.  There are others,but those are the two most effective with the highest success rates in killing the bacteria completely.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
dear 2terrified,

Will cipro cure chlamydia? I don't understand why my doctor gave me cipro for treating chlamydia :((((
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
736575 tn?1288906158
Some docs say it will.  But even the cdc recommends azithromycin(zithromax) or doxycycline.  Cipro is effective for gonorrhea but may not be against chlamydia.  Finish your meds and watch for symptoms.  If you aren't better in a couple of weeks, schedule a test for cure and go from there.  In the mean time, refrain from all sexual activity for at least 7 days.  Condoms break, so if you have sex in that time, you may infect your partner and potentially reinfect yourself.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
What is main difference in terms of symptoms  b/w Gonorrhea and  Chlamydia?
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
736575 tn?1288906158
As far as symptoms go, there really isn't one.  That is why one is often confused with the other.  Sometimes you can have both at the same time.  What identifies them is the characteristics of the specific bacteria when tested in the lab.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
736575 tn?1288906158
I have answered your question but in future please do not ask your own question under someone else's post. You can post your own by clicking on the POST A QUESTION button at the top of the page.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Submit Answer
A
A
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Chlamydia Community Resources
Top STDs Answerers
Blank
Fleetwood20