Chlamydia Community
confused

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Chlamydia issues such as: Causes, Chlamydia in Women, Exams and Tests, Medications, Prevention, Research, Risks, Support, Surgery, Symptoms, Treatments, What to ask your doctor.

confused

I've been sexually active with my serious boyfriend for about 6 months, and about a week after my routine check up a nurse calls my house to inform me that i have contracted chlamydia. i really dont know if i've had any symptoms other than discharge, which with a woman can be normal. right? before my boyfriend and i began having sex it had been about 4 months since my last sexual incounter. my last partner and i had unprotected sex and but being that it was 10 or more months ago could that be from him? i do however find it hard to believe that my resent boyfriend gave me the disease because we've never had unprotected sex. But is it possible? And could I have given the disease to my boyfriend even during protected sex? Also my boyfriend and i both have given and recieved oral sex from each other, can it be transmitted that way too? and are the symptoms the same in the std if contracted through the mouth. also I am a little concerned on how long it could have been since I've contracted chlamydia. And i've read that it can lead to infertellity and since i plan to have children one day, I want to know how long it is before that effect comes into play. Also this is a really personal subject that i wouldn't how to come across in a disscussion about chlamydia with my recent or ex-partner. is there anyway i can escape that gruling event.

thanks.
Hi there -

Its possible, but not likely, that you would get this from or give this to someone when using condoms.  Since there is a possibility, you need to tell your most recent partner.  (I'm a little confused though - you say recent, which would make me think you aren't currently with him, but you also say current - I'm not sure of the status of that relationship.)

Its also very rare for chlamydia to be passed via oral sex.

There is no set time line when infertility might end up being a result.  Unfortunately, you might not know this until you try and get pregnant.

Yes, this is a personal matter you don't want to talk about with people, but if you are personal enough with them to have sex, you have to be personal enough to have these kinds of discussions.  If your current partner has it, you could end up re-infected if he's not treated.  At least start with him, have him get tested and treated, and if he's negative, then you can tell the other guy.

Aj
Heh, sorry, I probably should have explained the situation a bit more clearly.

It's a run of 3 guys,
for a while I was sleeping with a friend - whom I got the std from,
I stopped speaking with him, and a few months later I began sleeping with another guy, which was when I started experiencing symptoms. He went and got tested, but he came up negative (he was treated anyways) and I was treated.
We stopped sleeping together. A few months later I met my current boyfriend, who is experiencing the issues.

A couple of people told me it sounds like he just has a UTI, and that I am fine, though I don't know what would explain the odd smelling discharge.
Oops, I'm sorry. I didn't even pay attention, I thought this was my topic. My bad!
LOL its ok.  :)

yea sorry about the confusion i am still currently with myboyfriend whom i've never had unprotected sex with.. i guess your right about being able to talk to him about something as serious as this because we are serious enough to have sex.. one thing i wanted to know is after the medication how can you be sure that its gone, because there were no major symptoms... would it tamper with any results if you had protected intercourse during the time of medication?
It wouldn't tamper with results, but what if you aren't cured, and the condom breaks?  Then you have to tell the new guy that you had sex with him while under treatment for chlamydia.

If you haven't had sex with him yet, you can choose to tell him if you want, but you don't have to.  But you do need to find out from him if he's ever been tested, etc.

Aj
Oh and you can assume the meds worked in 7 days.  If you want to be totally sure, you can get re-tested, but wait at least a month to do that, as the test can't be 100% until then

Aj