Chlamydia Community
definately had chlamydia for 3 years!

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Chlamydia issues such as: Causes, Chlamydia in Women, Exams and Tests, Medications, Prevention, Research, Risks, Support, Surgery, Symptoms, Treatments, What to ask your doctor.

definately had chlamydia for 3 years!

Hi sorry this might be a bit long, i have been with my partner for almost 8 years. i found out he had a affair 3 years ago-she said over the phone to me that shes been tested and it was negative (although she claimed she got her chlamydia test results straight away a swab.. anyway me and my boyfriend worked through it and i began to start trying for a baby-i have not concieved in the 18-24 months trying... my friend wanted me to go to the clinic for her test for support so whilst i was there i had a test to. it turns out i have chlamydia! i have been treated for it but what are the chances of this seriously affecting my chances of getting pregnant!? please help-im so scared xx
sorry just to verify i think the girl was lying and embarrassed as its not possible to get chlamydia test back within seconds after a full swab
Sorry for keep reposting but i just remembered another thinkg im worried about.. after taking the tablets to treat the chamydia.. the day after i had alot of dark brown discharge and stomach cramps it wasnt like normal disharge tho it was like little clumps of brown tissue kind of thing -is this normal to have for the day?
I'd be surprised if you had chlamydia for 3 years without knowing.  I'd be even more surprised if your man had it for 3 years without knowing it.

I'm sorry to say this, but I'd have to wonder if he's been with someone else much more recently.

Has he been tested yet?  Are you pregnant yet?

Zithromax at that dose can cause some cramping, but if its not all gone within 24-48 hours of taking the meds, follow up with your doctor.  I've also not heard of that kind of discharge after.  You might want to follow up with your doctor.  

Aj

I have always had very heavy periods and stomach pains so the doctor says its possible ive missed the symptoms.. he also said that sometimes people can have it for 10 years with no symptoms at all? im really confused as it would certainly  explain why i have not got pregnant within the 2 years ive been trying! anther question i wondered is-if you are trying to get pregnant whilst u actually have chlamydia (without knowing it) can this affect fertility ? and will my chances be better now that ive been treated? sorry its a little mumbled -im quite confused..
Having chlamydia in and of itself doesn't cause infertility.  Its when the infection spreads to your fallopian tubes that problems arise.  The fallopian tubes are very delicate, and any infection there can cause scar tissue to build up, and that can block the tube.  There isn't any set time that this takes - it might take me 6 months, and you 2 years.  We just have no way of knowing.

In all the work that I've done, I've never met anyone who's had chlamydia longer than 2 years without knowing it.  I'm sure people can go longer, but I don't think 10 years is possible.  You would have been very sick at some point.

Heavy periods and stomach pains (assuming you mean period cramping) is suggestive of other things, like endometriosis, fibroids, etc., and some women just have bad periods without any evident cause.  Chlamydia wouldn't be causing this.

The other issue here is that men will usually get symptoms sooner than women.  Its terribly unlikely that your man would go 10 years with this infection and have no symptoms.  When you are trying to figure out how this happened, you have to look at everything - here, the woman said she was negative for everything, your man hasn't had symptoms, you hadn't had symptoms, etc.  We don't know if the other woman was telling the truth or not, but in the big picture, it all says that it is a more recent infection than 10 years.  

Has he tested yet?  

Aj

Hi thankyou so much for all your advice. he has tested positive but only after i have told him to go to see the doctor when i got my results. we have both now been treated and although the doctor said i didnt have to go back to have a check up after the antibiotics i have booked in at another clinic in 3 weeks time just to be safe.

could i ask what symptoms you should expect when you have chlamydia a long time, how you would feel, sick in what way?

Also the affair was 3 years ago and he said thats were he must have got the infection from.. it was just the doctor that said people have it for 10 years and not know- although i realise he was trying to make me feel better about the situation.

I am kinda beating myself up about it all at the moment and wish id have had a check earlier.

I'd just like to thank you for all the advice youve given me and previous posts i've been able to read through! you all do a great job

Emily
Hey lady. Just make sure you and your boyfriend both get tested again. I'm 14 weeks pregnant. And at my first appt. at 9 weeks pregnant they did the normal pap and ultrasound. And called me a week later and said I had chlamydia. My doc. prescribed the meds Zithromax and I took it and got cleared up. I had my boyfriend take it too. My wonders is where it came from. Because from what I had read that it can cause infertility problems. And I was with my ex for 3 years and we tried to have a baby for 2 years and nothing! I get with my boyfriend now..Been with him since July 08 and here we are pregnant. So you never know. Just get checked =]
Pregnancy can cause false positives.  Did you have your bf test or just treat?

Aj
Hi, thanks for your reply, and many congratulations on your pregnancy! :)

I have been for a check and was treated for chlamydia, although my local clinic does not ask you to come back for another check to make sure its gone after treatment they just say that it almost definately goes with the zithromax- so to be 100% sure i have booked in with a private clinic in 3 weeks time...

I am really starting to disbelieve the whole story of him having it for years..but thats a whole different story! thanks for giving me some hope re your pregnancy!

good luck

emily
he was tested and treated
If his test was positive, there is no way that he's had it for 10 years or whatever.  3 years, maybe, but not 10.  He'd have had symptoms way before now.

Good luck,
Aj
just to clarify- it was the doctor that said to me that he'd seen people that hadnt been sexually active for 10 years and had chlamydia but as i said i think he was trying to shock me!

my personal situation is 3 years-we both were checked 3 and a half years ago and was both negative-then he had a affair 3 years ago.. we havent been checked since so thats why my partner says we must have had it for 3 years

sorry for confusion

emily
Gotcha.  I think 3 years is much more do-able than 10 lol, and I hate scare tactics.  They never work because they are so easily disproved.

well i'm looking on the bright side of at least i have had it treated now.. its really weird that i didnt think i had any syptoms (symptoms) but since i was treated i just feel a whole lot better within myself-my tummy feels lighter and i dont feel as tired. maybe thats all in my head.

thank you again! you've been ace!

Emily
Oh I don't know - I think sometimes we don't realize how bad we feel until we feel better, if that makes sense lol.

Good luck,
Aj
Just to keep you updated. I just heard off the sister of the girl he had a affair with that when she got tested 3 years ago her results actually came back positive and not negative as she had me believe.
So there's my answer right there. I have been infected for 3 years, must be a rare occasion that neither of us had any real symptoms! Anyway what's going on is I've decided to leave my partner as I don't feel I can trust him any more- even though I knew about it at the time it has just really sunk in! My health is way more important than any man!

Emily
Aww well at least you know.  Good luck to you.  :)
can chlamydia turn into anything worse?
Can the bacteria get in other organs and cause worser problems and can the odor from the bacterial discharge grow futher to other organs as well a produce a bad odor through the mouth
I have been with my ex partner for 2yrs and we split not to long ago and I got tested May 9th and was positive for chlamydia. My dr. put me on Zithromax and went for a check up a week later the test once again came up positive and now im on Doxycycline and I go back next week for another check up. My dr. said it could cause infertility and im really scared when I want to start a family i can't by the way i am 18. i need help i dont know what else to do.
hi i have been with my fiance for 7 years now i no he had an affair 3 years ago i forgave him i never got checked because i didint think much off it tbh with you but we have tried for ababy for 1 year now and nothing iam so scared off going to the doctor because he is a family friend so i booked myself in to a private clinic i was possitve for the big C sorry i dont like the word and i struggle to spell it and now i have took the tablets iam clear and my fiance is but iam scared can i still get pregant iam only 22 i realy want a baby please help