Chlamydia Community
panic!!!

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Chlamydia issues such as: Causes, Chlamydia in Women, Exams and Tests, Medications, Prevention, Research, Risks, Support, Surgery, Symptoms, Treatments, What to ask your doctor.

panic!!!

After a discussion with some of my friends today, I started worrying about chlamydia.  For some reason I had it in my head that boys always have symptoms.  I had unprotected sex with my boyfriend about 2 years ago and unprotected oral sex with another boy at my university (who I know well) just before that.  However I have never been tested for chlamydia.  Neither of these two people have ever informed me of having it ever.  I've been with the same boyfriend now for the past year and a half,(who was a virgin before), having unprotected sex and he too has never had any symptoms of anything.  Is it likely that it could have gone unnoticed in all 3 of these boys and me?  If I have been carrying it untreated for 2 years.. is it likely that I will have done myself serious damage?  Would I have symptoms of PID?  Would I know if the infection had spread?  I'm so worried now that I may have seriously harmed myself through not getting checked.. I have never had a smear test because they don't start til age 25 in the UK.
Hi there -

Its good that you are aware now, but there's no need to panic.  The likelihood of you going 2 years without showing any symptoms is next to nothing.  The longest I've seen in years of working in this field is a year and a half.

Its not a bad idea to be tested, just to know your status, but its unlikely that you would have chlamydia.

AJ
I'm living in spain at the moment and have no idea where to go for these kinds of tests so I'm concerned.
Is there anything else I should be tested for that I don't know about?  I have only had a hiv test before i started going out with my boyfriend.
Is it likely that me and him could have any other std's for 2 years/a year and a half and both not have any sign?
As far as I know, my discharge has never changed, I've had no abnormal bleeding or pains during sex or otherwise.  I'm on the pill.
The only ones you can have for years and not know it are syphilis and herpes.

Herpes isn't a reason to run out and get tested, as it won't cause you any harm to have it and not treat it.

Syphilis could be causing harm, but its still uncommon in the UK (http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/101501.php)

I couldn't immediately find anything on syphilis rates in Spain, but maybe some of the friends that got you so freaked out can tell you where to test there.

AJ