Chlamydia Community
please help..

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Chlamydia issues such as: Causes, Chlamydia in Women, Exams and Tests, Medications, Prevention, Research, Risks, Support, Surgery, Symptoms, Treatments, What to ask your doctor.

please help..

i got a phone call from my doctor on july 26th telling me i had tested positive for chlamydia. negative for everything else. i was giving 1g of a zpack. it was 4 250mg pills that i took all at one time. my partner was also treated but he was also given a shot. a week after being treated we had sex, but used a condom. a few days later, i started having a lot of symptoms that i never had in the first place. abdominal pain, burning when i pee etc. so, i went back to the doctor. she said there was no point in re testing because after 2 weeks it would still come back positive so she gave me another gram of a zpack, this time in the form of a drink. now, four weeks after my first treatment, i found out i have a urinary tract infection. While at the ER i told them about having chlamydia and being treated twice and the ER doctor didn't seem to confident in the zpack being effective even though i had 2 grams. So, my question is, was the 2 grams of the zpack enough to cure my chlamydia? and now 4 weeks after my first treatment, is it still contagious? or should it be out of my body completely..?
You need to keep getting retested before you have sex again.  You need to retest until it is negative. You might need different meds.  

The doctor is an idiot and should have retested you. You could possibly have PID which can happen if you have been infected with Chlamydia.

Please get tested again and stop having sex until you are 100% clear.
1 gram of Azithromycin is 97 percent effective in curing chlamydia. The infection will be gone from your body 1 week after taking zithromax. I had it, took 1 dose, and was cured. I did retest, but only because I had used a toy I had forgot to clean.....and tested negative. The antibiotic Zithromax is so effective in curing chlamydia the cdc does not recommend retesting unless you are pregnant or still showing symptoms. Your symptoms were from a uti, not chlamydia. If it makes you feel better, go retest.....but I imagine it will be negative.
The doctor is NOT an idiot, Here is the medhelp Drs answer.....about how soon to retest.

1) Azithromycin is about 95% effective against chlamydia.  In addition, PCR detects the organism's DNA, which can persist for at least a couple of weeks after the organism is killed by antibiotics.  In your case, there is no way to know which explanation accounts for the positive test 13 days after treatment.  But either way, it's nothing special or unusual.

So, the DNA can still be in your system for a couple of weeks even though the bacteria is dead.
Ticked, you need to get your facts straight as you are causing people unneeded worry.

You need not worry, your chlamydia is more than likely gone......but if it makes you feel better, retest.
Chlamydia sometimes is very difficult to cure. Its intracellular bacteria, and sometimes even after antibiotic treatment it might "survive".

Just because its a medhelp doctor doesnt mean they are all right all the time!!!  LORD.

I have read some really stupid answers from doctors on here so sorry, I still stand firm with my answer.

I am not trying to scare anyone I am telling them to take full precaution.
The fact that it is intracellular is why you need to wait more than 2 weeks after taking the antibiotic to retest.....the bacteria may be dead but your human body cells are not, but if the dead bacteria are there you will still get a positive even though the infection is cured. 2 of my doctors told me 6 weeks after treatment.
Like I said, and ticked, retest if you are worried, but wait a while so you dont get a false positive.